Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,031   Online: 972

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I really don't know what to advise a young fellow to take up as an avocation.
    Woodworking is out as I believe sawdust is already banned, and how is one going to emulate Michaelangelo without Cadmium Yellow and Prussian Blue.
    And I'm having a hard time finding the lead wire for the fuses in my house.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As has been mentioned above, HQ is an ingredient of skin lightening creams. Its popular in darker skinned cultures, and has the advantage, that unlike the natural equivalents such as bearberry or other Melanogenasis inhibitors which work by interfering with melaning synthesis, it gets straight to the point and bleaches the melanin in the skin.
    Its been banned by the EU for this use, as its not overly skin friendly and can result in a greater risk of skin cancer. Not necessarily by itself, but by the fact that the user has reduced thier natural protection, and is more at risk from sunburn.
    In developers and the like, if you're not following what is termed as GLP or Good Lab Practice, which means don't dip your mitts in it like it was pure water then eat a sandwich after, the risk is minimal to non existant. I've handled stuff MUCH MUCH worse when I worked in a pharmaceutical lab, and all I needed to keep me safe was an ounce of common sense and a pair of gloves occasionally.
    For photographic chemicals, the smell and how it lingers on the skin should be enough discouragement. Fixer for instance reeks when you get it on skin.
    The risk with all these materials comes down to quantity and exposure. If you're a pro-lab handling gallons of the stuff daily, you'll be using tighter controls to what an occasional user will be doing in his basement.
    Or if you're in my industry, a bottle of baby lotion is safe enough to be used on infants. Its not such a laugh when an idiot puts a forklift through the side of a 1 Tonne container, and its all over the floor
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hydroquinone is toxic in all countries - so don't eat it, drink it or take a bath in it.

TF-4 and other Ammonium Thiosulfate based Fixers are redolent of ammonia.

Most of the Sodium Thiosulfate Acid Fixers contain Acetic Acid - and smell like it.

Don't drink them or take a bath in them.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    Hydroquinone is toxic in all countries - so don't eat it, drink it or take a bath in it.

TF-4 and other Ammonium Thiosulfate based Fixers are redolent of ammonia.

Most of the Sodium Thiosulfate Acid Fixers contain Acetic Acid - and smell like it.

Don't drink them or take a bath in them.
    There are a number of odorless ammonium thiosulfate based fixes. My own Super Fix posted here is one of them. I don't suggest drinking it or taking a bath in it though.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CBG View Post
    29g/Kg ... a "relatively small dose"????? May I disagree? That's a big dose.

No, I take that back. That's an enormous dose. Vast. You'd have to be deranged or at least seriously unlucky to ingest that much. Thats shoveling a substance down as if it was food.
    Yes, yes. We've already covered my momentary lapse of intellect back on page 2, I think...but, thanks for bringing it up again.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Yes, yes. We've already covered my momentary lapse of intellect back on page 2, I think...but, thanks for bringing it up again.
    Sorry - my intent was not really to take you to task, but to make the point that there seems little distinction made between the really nasty items one must take very very serious care with, and the more common and less scary items that merit just basic good sense. The federal govt and the states seem to be "crying wolf" by declaring everything "chemical" to be a grave hazard. The inflated fear ratings make it hard to avoid the really nasty stuff. Hydroquinone is the perfect example. Generations of darkroom workers have used hydroquinone with no harm, but now governments seem intent to declare it dangerous.

C

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to put the toxicity data in perspective, here are the LD50's and the like for a chemical that is in every home

Toxicity data

ORL-RAT LD50 3000 mg kg-1
    ORL-MAN LDLO 1000 mg kg-1
    ORL-MUS LD50 4000 mg kg-1
    IPR-MUS LD50 2602 mg kg-1
    ICV-MUS LD50 131 mg kg-1
    SKN-RBT LD50 > 10000 mg kg-1

Any guesses?

Well chips don't taste the same without it, and the doc says I should cut down on it to reduce my blood pressure, and most of the water on earth is contaminated with it

its Salt, Sodium Chloride, NaCl

In the same vein, google "Dihydrogen Monoxide" for a good going over of irrational chemical scare stories
    Don't breathe it in, mind, 'cos that will kill you

(Note not ripping on any one here, just putting Government Civil Servants in perspective)
    "Flatter Me, and I May Not Believe You. Criticize Me, and I May Not like You. Ignore Me, and I May Not Forgive You. Encourage Me, and I Will Not Forget You."

You fellows worrying about a mere chemical! Haven't you heard about tomatoes lately?
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne View Post
    You fellows worrying about a mere chemical! Haven't you heard about tomatoes lately?
    Mark
    I'm going to go back to eating my hydroquinone.....

(Right now my tomatoes are off of the plants in the back yard. Yummy.)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin