Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,295   Online: 878

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stick with what works for you, If you are pleased with the results you are getting by no means change.

Yours;

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Used Tri-X for 40 years. Our family has used it since '54.

It's the $#!t.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Images
    The only film I like better than Tri-x is Plus-X which is two stops slower. When I travel, I usually carry both. If I have enough light, I will shoot Plus-X, otherwise Tri-X.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Lee Shively;581657
    Didn't I read a while back that Kodak was discontinuing Tri-X in bulk rolls?[/QUOTE]

Don't even think it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    If you like it, stick with it. If you want to experiment, get three rolls of another film you want to try and give it a go - then decide if you want to buy 100' of it. I mainly use 400 Delta for fast speed (mainly in 120 & 4x5) but that is no reason why you should... Suck it and see.

Bob.
    Bob has a great thought here, but I beg to differ slightly; I would get 10, or even 20 rolls of another kind of film (if you actually do switch) and soup them in the dev you're using for Tri-X. I can take awhile to learn what a film/dev combo can and cannot do. Different EI's, agitation routines, dev times, amount you dilute a dev, temperature, etc., all make a difference.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I am also a big believer in Tri-x. I like it better than almost all other black and white film.

I did, however, start shooting the Arista.edu Ultra 200 recently, and love it. It also helps that the bulk 100 foot rolls are 1/2 the cost of Tri-x. I was very skeptical at first, but I've shot about 20 rolls or so of the Arista.edu ultra film and have no complaints.

steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I switched to HP-5 for it's ability to handle the highlights a little better, and am now after four years of it with both pyro and D76, trying out Fuji Neopan 400, which seems to have both highlights under control like HP-5 and tighter grain than either. That said there is a Tri-X "look" that time and again I see from others work that makes me jump up and pay attention, but I don't go in for mystification. It's mainly a little grit and shouldered highlights.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Notwithstanding the warnings (that make sense) about sticking to something consistent, it is hard to pass up a bargain from someone who is unloading film they didn't care for.

Most of my film shooting doesn't need control, repeatability, etc (not yet), so I'm happy to be able to try different types for just the initial impression, to be explored in greater detail later.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Concerning the discontinuance of bulk Tri-X. I did read this on RFF recently. Turned out to be a rumor that was later discredited by Kodak.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    Concerning the discontinuance of bulk Tri-X. I did read this on RFF recently. Turned out to be a rumor that was later discredited by Kodak.

That certainly is good news. I would think that 100' rolls of Tri-X would be one of Kodak's better selling itmes. To discontinue it would be like my local grocery store discontinuing milk...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin