Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,876   Online: 960

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Bob has a great thought here, but I beg to differ slightly; I would get 10, or even 20 rolls of another kind of film (if you actually do switch) and soup them in the dev you're using for Tri-X. I can take awhile to learn what a film/dev combo can and cannot do. Different EI's, agitation routines, dev times, amount you dilute a dev, temperature, etc., all make a difference.
    Absolutely true of course: the more rolls the better idea you get. My thoughts were that as Marko is still at school, he'd want to keep his experimenting costs down. If he's gonna buy 10 or 20 rolls he may as well just go out and buy a 100' bulk roll (as he does for Tri-X) for about the same price .

Addendum to original post. If you do want to try others Marco, I suspect Delta 400 or Tmax 400 would be the best choices as they both have a very different look to Tri-X, being "newer technology" films with a different grain structure. Arguably, Delta is more forgiving of exposure and development inaccuracies than Tmax according to my reading (I never did get on with Tmax 100 and that sort of put me off Tmax 400 - I don't think I've ever used it)...

One option to add another string to your bow would be Delta 3200 or Tmax 3200. I keep meaning to try them but Tmax 3200 seems to be only available in 35mm and neither are in 4x5". I don't know the bulk-roll supply situation with either.

Have fun, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would venture to say that, since 1954, more really good 35mm photographs have been made on Tri-x than all other 400 speed b/w films combined.

John, Mount Vernon, VA USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob F. View Post
    Absolutely true of course: the more rolls the better idea you get. My thoughts were that as Marko is still at school, he'd want to keep his experimenting costs down. If he's gonna buy 10 or 20 rolls he may as well just go out and buy a 100' bulk roll (as he does for Tri-X) for about the same price .

Have fun, Bob.

Ah yes, forgot about that student thing going on!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Marko, here's the link to Freestyle & their Arista brands. The prices are attractive. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_search.php?rfnc=402

Freestyle is in LA and you're in Toronto??? Check you shipping costs!

Like Flying Camera says, no bad films out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    Didn't I read a while back that Kodak was discontinuing Tri-X in bulk rolls?
    I was told that by the clerk at Adorama. Didn't believe him, and he was wrong. I wrote to Kodak for the straight scoop. Tri-X continues to be sold in 100 ft. rolls.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    That certainly is good news. I would think that 100' rolls of Tri-X would be one of Kodak's better selling itmes. To discontinue it would be like my local grocery store discontinuing milk...
    If Kodak was in the grocery business, they'd probably discontinue milk due to the low profit margin and declining sales due to the increasing popularity of Vegan diets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I would venture to say that, since 1954, more really good 35mm photographs have been made on Tri-x than all other 400 speed b/w films combined.

John, Mount Vernon, VA USA
    Also measured in good photos/1000 films sold?
    I don't know for sure but its likely Tri-X sales (since 1954) outnumbers the other 400 ISO films combined
    Its a bit like fishing. the lure that catches the most fish is the one that is used most.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    Concerning the discontinuance of bulk Tri-X. I did read this on RFF recently. Turned out to be a rumor that was later discredited by Kodak.
    Someone over there said Plus-X was going to be discontinued in Japan. I hope that will be discredited, too ...
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin