Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,533   Posts: 1,572,710   Online: 810

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Almost out of film!

I have 3 rolls of tri-x and 2 rolls of Kodachrome left. I buy my film in 100'

Should I stick with Tri-x or do the APUGers have any suggestions for a different film?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    A couple of weeks ago I bought 100 feet of Tri-X at B&H, and when it came up from the stock room I said, "That's the stuff" just to acknowledge that they'd sent the right item, but the guy behind the counter gave me a knowing look as if to say, "Yeah, that's the stuff."
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i've been using tri-x for about half my photographic life and don't plan on switching...i've tried just about every 400iso film out there and i like tri-x the best...if i want less grainy shots i go with tmax film, but that's usually never the case.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nah, I find no reason for you to change to other films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you like it, stick with it. If you want to experiment, get three rolls of another film you want to try and give it a go - then decide if you want to buy 100' of it. I mainly use 400 Delta for fast speed (mainly in 120 & 4x5) but that is no reason why you should... Suck it and see.

Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Until you've come to a solid understanding of one film and found its limitations, I'd stick with it. Is there anything about Tri-X that you don't like? Is it too grainy? is it too fast? too slow? Are you not getting the prints you want from the film you're shooting? If the answer to at least one of these questions is yes, then I'd look at switching film. But first, I'd look at improving your development and printing techniques before switching films. We are truly blessed in this day and age to have essentially no BAD film available. There are some better than others, and some that are special-purpose that don't work well outside of their intended goal, but really no BAD film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like a fool I keep trying other 400 films - and I keep coming back to Tri-X. It's a bunch of films in one. At 400 in Xtol - wonderful. At 1600 dilute Xtol - great and at 400 in Rodinal 1+100 - exquisite! Don't like it much - do I?
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like HP5+ but I've shot several miles of Tri-X and would be perfectly happy if it was all there was available. Stick with it. Good stuff.

Didn't I read a while back that Kodak was discontinuing Tri-X in bulk rolls?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    They are still selling them and I can order them in from my local Henrys. I was just wondering what other films I should try?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively View Post
    I like HP5+ but I've shot several miles of Tri-X and would be perfectly happy if it was all there was available. Stick with it. Good stuff.

Didn't I read a while back that Kodak was discontinuing Tri-X in bulk rolls?
    Say this isn't so. If that is the case, I'm stocking up.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin