Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,049   Posts: 1,561,097   Online: 884

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I gotta second those suggesting Kentmeres' Fineprint paper. Kentmere characterizes it as a neutral tone paper but I find the word soft to be more descriptive. The blacks are downright lusty.

I'm printing TMax 100 negs with Dektol and that may be part of it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i thought I'd update this thread as I've been on a small journey here. Originally I didnt want a warm base, but decided in the end that was what I was after, so I ordered a couple boxes of the fomatone mg matt paper. I liked it a lot, but it was far too slow for me. My flash exposures were on the maximum limit of my RH paper flasher - standing around for that long just to flash paper is too much of a pain, also I got lots of uneven blotchyness in areas of even tone - this was accentuated when I did any bleach back toning (nothing to do with processing or washing as I dont get it with any other paper than the foma ones). I understand it is a common problem with the paper and has something to do with quality control not being as it should be. I found the same problem with the Fomabrom Variant matt paper.

So now I've got some of the Kentmere warmtone stuff as suggested here, and so far so good. I find it very curly out of the packet ... hopefully this wont also be the case once it's dried. It feels thinner than the Ilford paper, much less yellowy that the fomatone. thanks for the tips everyone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leom, how about Oriental WT? It has a less glossy surface nowadays. It behaves similarly to Ilford WT, but has the slightly duller, but not MATT surface.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love that paper Andwew - and still have some left from when it was available here, but sadly it isnt anymore. Not sure why it is there and not here. but there you are! I dont have enough for the series I want to print on matt paper so I need alternatives. the kentmere is looking best bet so far.

Shooter
    35mm

"Funny" this topic comes back up today

Just last night I finally got a bit of darkroom set up in the garage. All I wanted to do was anything and I thought I would see what the Foma/Arista.edu ultra "semi-matte" surface is like.

At this very moment I have a Kodak Photographic Papers book from the fifties open to Kodabromide N. With the Arista, I don't think you can get any more similar without the real thing. I had some paper scraps in the paper safe from 1999 that I think ARE the real thing, a polycontrast II Rapid on N. Emphasis on "I think." If I am correct, they are virtually indestinguishable.

Tonight I hope to see what the Forte Matte and Varycon "Matt" are like.

I am also going to weigh a sheet, 11 x 14, of each on the Ohaus. Man, that Arista is some kind of anorexic thin. I don't think I've ever seen such a thin paper, or so it seems.

I know none of this has anything to do with image characteristics.

Oh yeah, the weird thing about the Arista "semi-matte" is that the Foma equivalent - allegedly - is called matte. No way. It has a definite sheen and if "semi-matte" isn't right, I'd say "smooth luster." Which just happens to be what Kodak has called the N surface from time to time, although they tend to go with "semi-matte" as they are nowadays with color print paper.

More tomorrow.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ilford Pearl surface has a slight luster that many people like. The Kentmere semi-matte surface have a bit less, which is also nice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    The Ilford Pearl surface has a slight luster that many people like. The Kentmere semi-matte surface have a bit less, which is also nice.
    the ilford pearl is an RC paper

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by nworth View Post
    Yes, I've used that in both "real" photo paper and inkjet. A very good finish.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bergger VCB Style.
    Very warmtoned, the surface is actually a bit more like a semi-gloss, but a very toned down gloss even compared to normal air dried fiber prints.
    I'm in love with it.
    Unfortunately, its not yet available again after the coating-line-switch.
    Here's hoping...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper

I've tried the Ultrafine pearl which prints a very nice pic. I've just received their paper in 11 X 14 which makes me think. Now I'm going to need a larger scanner & more room on my walls so I'm going to have to find a larger place. When does this madness end ? I haven't told the wife about the moving part but she'll probably have a different plan. Try the paper though

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin