Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,568   Online: 1126

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

semi matt paper suggestions?

I'm looking to try out some matt papers - having only been a glossy kind of person until now, I'm not 100% sure what is good and what isnt. I've tried Ilford MGIV Matt which is far too mat for my taste, and also the MGFB warmtone semi matt which is the perfect surface, but I dont want the warmtone base - so a kind of cross between the two would be in the right direction. Any suggestions? It's got to be available in the UK also and in a 91/2 x 12 size too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't use RC much but I really, really like Kentmere semi-matte fiber paper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Leon

Have a look at Kentmere WT fineprint. Lovely surface. I use it with eukbrom and both NA and WA nuetol. I also like the way it will lith as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Eric - I never use RC for printing anything other than contacts

Thanks David - can you comment on how it responds to thio toning? I find the Ilford warmtone can have a sickly yellow in the highlights which I find really unpleasant - the neutral papers seem to have a nicer effect when using thio?

nze
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quite difficult to find . fomatone Mg is realy semimat ( even if call matt) but warm ,. And the matt fomabrom is as matt as ilford.
    Chris Nze
    me Apug Portfolio
    Me web page

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Leon,

I'll second the Fomatone MG matt, which has a bit of a sheen, more like semi-gloss.

Regards,
    Trevor.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Leon
    I'm pretty much sold on Kentmere FB paper in 'Finegrain' I use both the warmtone and the neutral one (which, unlike Ilford, are the same speed). It tones well, too and (at the moment, at least) is still a bit cheaper than Ilford.

Happy Printing!

Rob

Shooter
    35mm
    Leon

Kentmere fineprint WT responds v.well to most toners. Processed in eukobrom it cools off well in 1+15 selenium, and reacts well to gold. I also get good warmtones using neutol WA and then fotospeed sepia toner, sometimes followed by selenium. The only combination I didnít like was the recent Ilford cooltone dev, this appeared to give a slight yellow tint to the base, which would clash with any subsequent toning. Prolonged selenium after lith processing is also interesting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In the end, I opted for a warmer base and bought several packs of the fomatone mg matt, and it is superb - perfect for the job I'm doing. I've used it before in the glossy finish, but I must say the matt version is much much nicer. The only problem is the paper speed is so slow, but a small price to pay. It responds beautifully to a light thio highlight toning. I much prefer it to the ilford warmtone matt. The blacks are in no way compromised with the foma matt as they are with the ilford papers - although this is only based on visual asessment. Aesthetically, I dont think this would work as well for large prints - the Ilford MG warmtone glossy seems to hold it's own in that department, but a series of 8x8 prints on the 9 1/2 x 12 foma paper look good enough to eat.

thanks for all the tips everyone - they were most helpful

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    I'm looking to try out some matt papers - having only been a glossy kind of person until now, I'm not 100% sure what is good and what isnt. I've tried Ilford MGIV Matt which is far too mat for my taste, and also the MGFB warmtone semi matt which is the perfect surface, but I dont want the warmtone base - so a kind of cross between the two would be in the right direction. Any suggestions? It's got to be available in the UK also and in a 91/2 x 12 size too.
    From what you're looking for the Fomatone semi-matt may also be too warm. Maybe the Foma Variant in semi-matt? This is a VC paper with a good contrast range & a bright white base.

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/paper13.html#Variant

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin