Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,130   Online: 1085

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

already mixed, will it keep a few hours?

In a rush, I set out to process a roll of 120 film without having rewound it to get the curl out. I had 1 hour and thought I could get it done before rushing off to work. I already mixed the D76 1:1, but I CANNOT get the film on the reel. Will the developer keep till early this afternoon, if covered?

Janet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it should keep OK for that long, without any problems

Ian

Images
    Thanks for the quick reply! Whew... guess the rush thing isn't so good - I hate tightly curled film and never ever try to wrestle it. Don't know what I was thinking. Thanks again.

Janet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Janet, it probably will keep, but use ASAP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Tell me about rewinding 120 film to get the curl out. I haven't come across this before.

John

Images
    Hi John,

I break the seal in the dark, unwrap the film & backer paper to the end, then rewrap it going the opposite direction. I keep a tape dispenser next to my enlarger (darkroom is small!) and put a bit of tape to hold it in place. Then I either carry it a while in my jeans pocket or put it in a little black bag in the drawer. It loosens the tight curl and makes loading it onto the spool really easy. And fast. I always plan ahead enough to do that before I process. I'll leave it like that at least a couple hours, but have left it a couple days. Less if in my pocket because the body warmth seems to soften enough to make it loosen more quickly.

I'll tell you... I tried for over 35 minutes this morning to get that durn film on and could not!

How-in-the-world do you get it on your spools, so tightly curled?

Janet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have no problems loading 120 film, with the exception of film that was shot decades ago. Maybe it just takes some practice?
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Images
    Well, I processed the film after the developer had been sitting, covered with plastic wrap, about 8 hours. The negatives look alright... as OK as I think they might, coming from a Holga with too many light leaks. I usually keep it pretty well taped, at least in certain places. Anyway, the developer was pretty fine.

Thanks, guys!

Janet

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't understand why you need to rewind the film to remove the curl. Its natural curl helps it curl onto the reel anyway. Do you use plastic or metal reels? Anyway, glad your developer was okay.

Images
    I use plastic, but find the very tight curl sometimes makes it difficult for me to get on the reel. If I do as described, it goes on in a few seconds. I've found that way just works best for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin