Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,559   Posts: 1,545,255   Online: 817

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Public Darkroom - Transportation of Wet/Drying Prints

Hello,
    I am going to use a public darkroom for the first time to print and asked the facilities what equipment they had for drying FB prints and was told that they had none. It was suggested that I bring some form of plastic to lay the prints on and separate them with paper towels. I am concerned about lint issues and cracking of the emulsion. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Don't use paper towels but instead use wax paper. This will eliminate a source of particles.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dave,

Some of the students at Univ. of Akron's darkroom do not like to leave their prints on the screened drying racks. What I have seen them do is bring a roll of unprinted paper towels. They unroll the paper, lay the prints out with no overlap, roll the paper up and take the roll home. This all assumes the prints are not larger than the paper towel roll is wide. The students return in the next day or two with moist prints that they flatten and dry on a big Seal dry mount press, one of the 500 series that will do multiple small prints or a 20x24.

When I was in college the first time, 1960-64, Kodak offered a similar roll that I used for the same purpose. I had a B-22 Omega enlarger in my shared apartment, using the bath tub for final wash. For a whole year I never thought of ring around the tub.

Hope this helps.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I used to go to the Saidye Bronfman darkroom in Montréal, they had a blow drier for prints. I used it on RC prints with decent success, barring the occasional water spot in the surface. I used FB a few times, and always printed it first, then blow-dry as much as I could, in the hopes that the paper would be sufficiently dry by the end of the evening when I left. It was never really satisfactory, and I put the photos between some sheets of drying paper. Bits always got stuck in the emulsion.

I would suggest trying to go the plastic / wax paper route instead. You want to avoid any drying to happen during transportation. Then, when you come home, you may re-wet your prints so that they dry evenly.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DJGainer View Post
    Hello,
    I am going to use a public darkroom for the first time to print and asked the facilities what equipment they had for drying FB prints and was told that they had none. It was suggested that I bring some form of plastic to lay the prints on and separate them with paper towels. I am concerned about lint issues and cracking of the emulsion. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave
    I manage a small communal darkroom which doesn't have an FB dryer or space for screens; people seem to use photo blotting paper (should be able to get from Calumet etc.) after sqeegeeing the prints. They then flatten under a pile of books or use a dry mount press if they have access to one.
    I haven't tried the paper towels but would worry they would leave stuff on the print, also are they archival, doesn't seem to make sense to take the trouble to properly wash FB paper then put it in contact with kitchen paper.
    Last edited by DaveOttawa; 02-05-2008 at 10:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    depending on the size of you prints you can get some sealable containers like from tupperware and just take the prints in some water home to dry. You could get some screens and set up a temporary drying rack when you need it. You need to squeege them but perhaps that can be done on the bathroom mirror..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why not get a plastic storage bin with cover in the size you need from a hardware store?

Then you can transport the prints home in an inch or two of water, and squeegee and dry them at home.

I guess if you take public transportation it wouldn't be convenient, but if you're driving it should be great.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Get blotter books. They're still made, and may be available at art supply stores as well as from photo retailers.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Hi, I also suggest taking them home wet and finish washing at home. A tupperware would be fine or even a ziplock would work (if you put between cardboard to keep from bending). You don't need a sloshing around amount of water as they won't dry out in a sealed container. Just stack them up "dripping wet" with no paper towels in between.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    many of my students use the tupperware , with a small amount of water to keep the prints from sticking to each other. A lid is helpful here and that is why tupperware, altho, i have a few who just put the prints in an over size tray and finish washing at home. For the most part they have screens that they got from Home Depot for drying.

we have screens but they are mainly for RC papers.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin