Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,998   Posts: 1,524,314   Online: 869

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Sudden Pinholes!

I've been using efke pl 100 for years now in 8x10. I bought 4 boxes of 50 sheets and only had a problem with the first few because I used stop bath. When I switched to a water stop in the jobo, I haven't had a problem since. All of a sudden, 90% of the way through the 3rd box, I'm getting pinholes!! I use the exact same processing procedure as I always have:
    Jobo, Pyrocat- HD, water stop, TF4, 30min wash.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I spent a lot on this film and I would really hate to have to junk it because the emulsion is either defective or going bad!

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Likely, the problem was not the stop in the first place. It could be coating defects. Are you using a prewet? That will usually help, but if it does not, you may want to look into coating problems.

Stop is very very seldom the cause of pinholes. I wish I could dispel this myth. If there is a problem with stop, it usually causes blisters during processing which then dry down to a fish scale type appearance in the final film or paper. And, if stop causes a problem, it is usually due to extremely soft film or paper (a coating defect IMHO) and a developer that contains carbonate.

PE

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I do use a 2min presoak. The pinholes have increased density around them

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Others may love Efke, but I stopped using their films because it seem like there were 2 or 3 frames on every roll of 120 that had an emulsion defect of some sort. I can't think of any of my Fuji, Kodak or Ilford ever having emulsion defects.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Nunn View Post
    Others may love Efke, but I stopped using their films because it seem like there were 2 or 3 frames on every roll of 120 that had an emulsion defect of some sort. I can't think of any of my Fuji, Kodak or Ilford ever having emulsion defects.
    Yeah, I know what you mean. If there are emulsion defects, what can I do, I bought the film years ago? ~$120 for a box, what a bummer!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin