Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,675   Posts: 1,481,931   Online: 1083

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Forte 100 dev times

Shot some Forte 100 in the local park today (120 size) of fog, cedar trees, pond, other junk and would like to make the fog come out well. I'm thinking about Rodinal, 1+100 or Pyrocat HD, but can find no info re: times and agitation. Can you fellow APUGers help out? EI 100 spot meter.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you looked on digitaltruth.com?The massive dev chart has times for everything you can think of ,and then some.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I looked there first, but only 1+50 for Rodinal and no P'cat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have only used Fortepan 100 in 135 format. Anyway, I did some tests developing the film in Rodinal 1 + 100 and I would advice you not to use this dilution since it produced negatives with very low macro and micro contrast despite shooting high contras scenes. But, then again, this was in my environment and I know that others have used this dilution and film successfully.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I do have other options: I could use D-76 1+1 (not exactly a loss there) as this is in the MDC, Rodinal 1+50 (again no loss) or I could test using the bulk roll of 35 I have. But, seeing as this is the Seattle-rondacks, it will be foggy again and I can shoot these scenes again, I'd just thought I'd do whatever I could to make the fog "sing".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did some early tests with the stuff but I was using 510 pyro. It seemed that 8 min @ 21c with Ilford agitation schedule was a good starting point. It looked pretty good but I haven't had a chance to work further with. I should get busy with it since I have over a hundred rolls of 120 in the freezer. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    Shot some Forte 100 in the local park today (120 size) of fog, cedar trees, pond, other junk and would like to make the fog come out well. I'm thinking about Rodinal, 1+100 or Pyrocat HD, but can find no info re: times and agitation. Can you fellow APUGers help out? EI 100 spot meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All of my Fortepan experience is with Fortepan 400. However, I would expect that my Fomapan 100 numbers would give you a starting point for Fortepan 100..

With Pyrocat HD and Fomapan 100 I use the 1+1+100 dilution at 21 C.
    1. 5 min presoak in 21C water.
    2. 30 seconds of gentle agitation in the developer.
    3. Stand without agitation for 7 minutes.
    4. Agitate gently for 30 seconds.
    5. Stand without agitation for 7 minutes.
    6. Dump developer and rinse film in plain water at 21C.
    7. Fix, Wash and dry
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahhh, semi-stand? That's one I hadn't thought of! Thanks, Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shot some Forte 100 ... fog, cedar trees, pond, other junk and would like to make the fog come out well...
    You have a very low contrast subject, so you want to boost contrast in developing. Especially so as you want to increase the contrast in the light-greys/highlights, where there isn't much contrast control with VC papers.

Try 25-35% over development (~N 1 1/2). Use a well behaved developer that will boost contrast linearly and won't block up, like D-76. Highlight blocking shouldn't be an issue in any case because the subject doesn't have any highlights to speak of. You don't want to use a compensating developer like dilute Rodinal. Pyro is probably a bad choice as well since results can be quite unpredictable without prior experimentation.

T-Max 100 would have been a better choice of film, old-style emulsions don't take nearly as well to developer manipulation.

When printing let the highlights go light grey so they are off the toe of the paper. Bleach them back to white carefully with Farmer's.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicholas, Thank you! What I think I'm going to do is to invest a few rolls of 35mm Forte 100 and try the methods above. That shouldget me in the ballpark. And waiting for more fog around here (we don't have winter anymore) isn't a big problem.

Actually, what I shot was a group of fairly high-contrast scenes; dark cedars against snow and fog.

I was thinking about P'Cat HD (it's already mixed and does a great job with APX100) because Gordon Hutchings (I think) mentions that fog comes out well in PMK and I thought P'Cat HD would be as close as I could get to PMK.

Hey, I'm open to anything...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin