Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,557   Posts: 1,573,271   Online: 1009

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm

A losing battle...

I had a big roll of paper that I loved, but it was a decade or more out of date. If I put in enough benzatriazole to stop the fog, the highlights went with it. Potassium bromide does the same thing except it takes more of it and can start effecting image tone. BZ doesn't do it to any large degree.

I've wondered since those experiments if the paper was developer incorporated and if that would have any bearing on it. The paper was Polycontrast II RC. My thinking is that if DI, THAT developer would have a effective "priority" over an external one. No absorption by the gelatin required, it's working as it gets wet.

I don't know if this is true, just a theory.

Good luck on your experiments.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    After tracking down some phenyl-mercapto-tetrazole I've decided I won't try to rescue this paper. The chemical is going to cost me more than $100 for 25g and I'm not at all convinced that I'll get the contrast back in the paper. It seems that most restrainers require shorter developing times and I usually develop gallerie for 2 - 4 minutes so I can't see that I'll be able to use this paper for it's intended prupose. A replacement batch is already on its way from England at great cost

I've got 8 packets of 12x16" Galerie Grd3; 10 fogged sheets per pack. If anyone would like to experiement with this paper in defender or with restrainers please PM me and I'll send you a pack or two for the price of postage, obviously it will be cheaper for Australians.

I am going to keep 2 packs that I've already opened to try next time I mix up dektol 1:1, I'll add quite a bit of benzotriazole and see what happens with a 1min development time just for the education.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattg View Post
    After tracking down some phenyl-mercapto-tetrazole I've decided I won't try to rescue this paper. The chemical is going to cost me more than $100 for 25g and I'm not at all convinced that I'll get the contrast back in the paper. It seems that most restrainers require shorter developing times and I usually develop gallerie for 2 - 4 minutes so I can't see that I'll be able to use this paper for it's intended prupose. A replacement batch is already on its way from England at great cost

I've got 8 packets of 12x16" Galerie Grd3; 10 fogged sheets per pack. If anyone would like to experiement with this paper in defender or with restrainers please PM me and I'll send you a pack or two for the price of postage, obviously it will be cheaper for Australians.

I am going to keep 2 packs that I've already opened to try next time I mix up dektol 1:1, I'll add quite a bit of benzotriazole and see what happens with a 1min development time just for the education.
    PMT is available through the Photographers Formulary AFAIK.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Ron,
    I can't find it on their website by any of its many names but will email them and see what they can dig up.

The suppliers here in Australia are only able to get it from one source in Germany and explain its expense by the grade of the product they source.

Matt.
    Matt Gorringe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin