Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,359   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fogged paper; how much benzotriazole?

Hello,
    I am trying to save some fogged Ilford Galerie Grd3. Hard to describe the extent of fogging but I would say it's more than slight but not severe.

I have tried adding a 1% solution of BTA to my Dektol (1:2) in varying amounts but have seen no effect so far up to 70ml BTA 1% per litre of working strength solution.

Developing strips of the fogged paper alongside some fresh Grd2 Galerie and increasing the BTA up to the amount mentioned above I can see no difference between 20ml/litre, 50ml/litre and 70ml/litre.

How far can I go with BTA? Is this experience normal?

Thanks very much, Matt.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, if you are developing the print for longer than one minute the fogging is likely to return.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip Les, ouch.

I normally develop this paper for 3 minutes in fresh developer to get full contrast. I'll try a shorter time at 1:1.

Matt.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's too bad, its beautiful paper. But it is not irreplaceable. If your time is more valuable than your money, playing with your developer is probably not worth it. Sometimes a quick bleach and fix of your print will snap it up and get you a white. And this paper will also lith, and I have found that a little fog is not noticeable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt;

If you can get it, phenyl-mercapto-tetrazole is more effective in these situations.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Matt, if you are into brewing your own developers this article on the Unblinking Eye has an amidol formula for use with vintage papers, which may be of interest.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the great advice everyone.

I've got about $300 of paper that I would like to save so a little experimentation is probably worth the time and effort. Besides, I might learn something. On the other hand I am resigned to having to replace it in order to complete the portfolio I'd started printing on Grd2 knowing I will probably end up with shift in image tone and may not be able to recover all the contrast.

It might be some time before I can report back (2nd baby due on Tuesday) but I'll make sure I let people know how I get on.

Matt.
    Matt Gorringe

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Matt;

If you can get it, phenyl-mercapto-tetrazole is more effective in these situations.

PE
    PE

Could you elaborate a bit on this compound (it's 1-Pehnyl-1H-tetrazole-5-thiol, CAS 86-93-1 right?).

So it works better than BZT?

No shift in final colour?

How do you make a stock solution and at what end concentration does one use it?

It smells bad (rotten egg)?

Thanks,

Best,

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cor View Post
    PE

Could you elaborate a bit on this compound (it's 1-Pehnyl-1H-tetrazole-5-thiol, CAS 86-93-1 right?).

So it works better than BZT?

No shift in final colour?

How do you make a stock solution and at what end concentration does one use it?

It smells bad (rotten egg)?

Thanks,

Best,

Cor
    All mercapto compounds smell bad. The compound that makes shit smell like shit IIRC is a mercapto ester.

I'm also curious if this is usable in an Amidol recipe?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend of mine has turned me onto an old formula by Defender called 58D. It has Chlorohydroquinone in it and I can get virtually fog free prints from batches of old paper that fog pretty badly in other developers.
    Worth trying.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin