Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,961   Online: 787

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilford Warm Tone Developer

Looking for some thoughts and opinions on using IWT with Ilford Multigrade Fiber and Ilford SemiMatte warmtone.

thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I first liked WT semi matt for it's creamy highlights in the WT developer. However after comparing Forte PWT in 1+9 with the Ilford paper, I prefer he browner dark tones of Forte's paper. I found that Ilford's paper was too neutral toned in the blacks for certain prints.

At the moment I am playing about with different dilutions of the Wt developer, but love the softness that Ilford's WT and CT developers offer. I think I'm back to 1+9 for my preferred dilution.

I'm fairly sure that I'm having to scrub my trays that bit harder to get them clean after using Ilfords WT developer also! I haven't made any comparisons with Agfa neutol WA just yet, but as Ilford's developer is easier to get hold of and cheap I'll stick with that.

I use Ilford Warmtone fibre a lot. Before Ilford (Harman) warmtone developer came out I used Neutol WA. This gives a hint of purple brown to the paper which becomes a stronger coolish purple brown in selenium. I find that Harman warmtone developer gives warmer tones, that become even warmer in selenium. I like to pull my prints before they get too warm, but this combination does give you options to suit your personal taste.
    So I mostly use Harman warmtone developer with Ilford warmtone paper. But if I liked cool prints more, I would use Neutol WA more.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Iv'e been trying this developer with Ilford Multigrade fibre and I like the tonal quality - better than Dektol. I have not yet tried it with warmtone paper.

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    my thoughts are it is great - my favourite combination infact. I agree about the state of my trays after using it though - it's not a clean developer, but it's very nice. I usually expose to develop for 2 mins only which enhances the warm feel and also means spending less time staring at trays in the dark .... I have used it for 1 1/2mins for even warmer tones. It's definitely more browny-warm with this paper than the agfa neutol which tends towards an olive colour.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've not used it yet as I've loads of Fotospeed WT10 to use up first. Does it work well diluted to 1+19 or more like the Fotospeed?

Rob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
    I've not used it yet as I've loads of Fotospeed WT10 to use up first. Does it work well diluted to 1+19 or more like the Fotospeed?

Rob
    I experimented a little bit with Fotokemika Emaks in Ilford Warmtone and Cooltone developers. IWT 1+9 gives subtle tone difference on Emaks compared to Ilford Multigrade and Zone VI developers. 1+19 gives a little bit more tone effect and I didn't notice any colour shift.
    Emaks in ICT 1+9 have stronger cold tone effect. Still didn't try it 1+19.

Pozdrav,
    Zvonimir

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've tried 1=9 plus 1=19 I have to say I am reasonably happy with either. I like the softness and warm tones that the Harman dev and paper give me. I try to keep the dev time under two minutes when ever possible. Normally aim to achieve three times emergence - dev wise. I prefer the warm look that this combination gives me.

I tend to work at a temperature of 27. I have found that the emulsion is very sensitive to damage though at warmer wash temperatures. I am still experimenting to find the right temperature level (wash-wise).

As for dirty trays - yup, this does seem to be worse with Harman Warmtone dev. I have to scrub mine like billyoh to get them clean afterwards. But we do have very hard water. So I would imagine that this makes it worse.

After all that though - I feel I will be sticking with this combination as it suits me fine.

Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm very happy with this developer and use it at a dilution of 1:9 at a temperature of about 25*C for no more then 2 min. This gives me a gentle warmth I like.

When I need a cooler print colour I mix in a little of their Cooltone developer (sadly no longer made, but fortunately I have a few litres). For example I will mix, 80ml of WT + 10/20ml CT to every litre of working strength solution. This gives me a very subtle duo 'tone' look to the print.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin