Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,721   Posts: 1,514,912   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by martinhughesireland View Post
    Give it a go again, well worth it. Below is a recent pic i took with the film with exposure and dev settings from above

ROllei IR400 Pic
    I metered with an incident meter at ISO6/12 on a bright spring day with plenty of new foliage. Hearing of other people's experiences, I was wondering if my RHS developer had died. It was probably at least 6 months old. I will try again with fresh developer.

Barry
    ps plenty of IR detail showing in your image.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Just one thing to add for your next experiment: for the price of ONE roll of Rollei film you might almost get TWO films by Adox/efke. Now, don't be cheap, don't buy ONE film for the lower price.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    :O)
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by martinhughesireland View Post
    Give it a go again, well worth it. Below is a recent pic i took with the film with exposure and dev settings from above

ROllei IR400 Pic
    Interesting....

I was just in a meeting with an ad client. We are trying to brand a dreamy style into a environmentally based ad campaign and I thought of possibly using this film in my 500 C/M.

I told her that along with some traditional black and white, it might be fun to try an IR component. Either way, with this one we are going analog for the consistency of film grain.

Since we are thinking of lighting this somewhat, with using either a R72 or a 87C filter, what kind of exposures would I be looking at if I exceed sunny-16 by three stops with my strobes in using this film?

I have 50 rolls of HIE in 120, but I am really trying to avoid using it for anything but fine art....But the idea of hand holding it with a 25A sure is appealing.
    Last edited by PKM-25; 02-08-2008 at 05:20 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No replies eh?

I am OK with long exposures as long as I can keep them to 1-4 seconds or less in full sunlight.

I can afford to be highly experimental in this ad campaign, we have tons of snow and at least two more months of ski season left. Basically what I am wanting to see it that classic jet black sky with a high contrast look on ski area equipment operators with snow cats, Snowmobiles an even ski patrollers doing avalanche control. These will mostly be posed but imply action FSA/ OWI style.

So I think that unless I get some real feedback here, I am going to use both a R72 and a 87C filter with both strobes at full power or reflectors in full sunlight to add style to the people. I figure 1,200 watt seconds at 3-6 feet away is pretty strong even compared to sunlight, so I might need a couple of rolls to nail this down before I go prime time.

Again...any ideas?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know what kind of dreamy look you'd get with the Rollei, I use that film because I don't care for halation. It has an AH layer and it basically removes halation completely. You won't see it at all in medium format or larger. I have speculated here before about washing away the AH layer before exposure or placing a reflective metal sheet (foil) on the pressue plate to boost halation but have tried neither of these approaches myself as yet.

If you mean dreamy=halation, then HIE is definitely your best shot. And frankly, I woudln't save the HIE, I would shoot it while it's still giving the best possible results.

You know what you might do is go ahead and shoot a pan b&w film with a red filter and then enlarge that with a metallic sheet under the duping film. It might halate for you if you have the right enlarger lamp (strongly IR emissive). Again just speculation.

If you want to shot the Rollei with a red filter then you might as well just shoot a less expensive film, you'll get no Wood effect with a red filter. You'll get a bit with an rm72 but not much. If you want tons of IR effect (way overdone and undifferentiated highlights, in my opinion) then shoot digitally but of course then there is no halation....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Someone told me double emulsion xray film can be relieved of one side's emulsion by wiping it with bleach. I read that as laundry bleach, but maybe he meant photo bleach, a different animal.

Now, for AH layer, would water suffice...or...?

Just asking out of curiosity...I have enough experiments to do without humiliating my film :O)
    Last edited by Murray@uptowngallery; 02-14-2008 at 09:13 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't had a chance to experiment but will do, when I get time. I think the most flexible thing to try is to to introduce halation in the duping stage via foil behind a pan film. One could put spacers in between the film and the reflective foil and tune the effect that way.

if that doesn't work then I would try washing away the AH or just searching for a film that has none and dupe to that. Frankly the Rollei stuff is too expensive for my wee budget to try it! But I'm thinking, maybe tmax. Maybe ortho even, I don't know how much backscatter of blue light you can generate. So many things to try, so little time....

Anyway, enough, sorry to go so far off topic.
    Last edited by keithwms; 02-14-2008 at 10:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    Anyway, enough, sorry to go so far off topic.
    Yeah, sorry about that. I hate starting new threads based on my limited needs.

I have Efke IR820 too, it looks to be more IR like when used with deep reds IR-cut filters. Basically, this ad campaign is for "Savesnowdotorg".

What we are trying to emphasize in the black skies is that there is far less atmosphere between us and the vacuum of space than we often realize, so we need to be pioneers in the ski industry to help keep things in balance if at all possible at this point.

Since this is not an article on global warming, but instead, an ad campaign on how to possibly prevent it from further progression, the use of artistic intent is heavily implied here.

I think this is going to be a really fun shoot over the next few weeks..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin