Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,609   Online: 961

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Pinhole

Rollei IR400, 87 filter, stand development

Living dangerously. I bought ONE roll of Rollei IR400, probably not enough to figure out exposure.

To maximize my chance of success, I'm thinking over a few ideas.

2) I have a 'mystery' IR filter from eBay, described as 760 nm cutoff, best guess is close to an 87. I thought this would work with the IR400, but lately I hear it's now called 'near-IR'. I knew the filter would work with HIE, but now I'm not sure about the IR400. Is an 87 filter response outside the IR400's range? I saw a spectral plot that showed it reaching about 50% response between 750 and 800 nm, but maybe that's changed. Maybe I should just use a 25 red?

3) Winter in Michigan: Maybe waiting until there is more than one cloud visible in the sky?

4) Given the gamble in getting exposure figured out, is stand development a usable 'crutch' for ambiguous EI situations like this?

Thank you
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well I have only exposed one roll of Rollei IR400 so far. I used a Wratten 89B equivalent (Cokin Z007, cut off at 720nm). I exposed frames at ISO6 & 12. Developed in Rollei HS at the recommended times and...

Severely under exposed negs, not worth printing.

Stand development, probably not worth it with one roll!

Barry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't used a 760nm rated filter.

I have used the Hoya R72 (720nm) with Rollei IR400. I rate the film at ISO 12 and bracket one stop either side (even more till you understood the film). If using a TTL meter make sure all filters are off the camera when setting aperture/shutter speed. I then develop it in Rollei RHS 1+7 for 6 minutes and get great results

If your using a 760nm filter i would rate the ISO lower say around ISO 6 and bracket a stop or two either side.

M

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thank you both.

I just found a Robert Vonk post on photo.net that seemed to feel pretty strongly that film is blind above 750 nm.

Given the filters I have at hand, I'll probably try a couple shots with the 760 nm filter, some with the 25 red, and for the fun of it, a blue & red combined if I can mechanically arrange it. I recall a thread on another site about combining multiple layers of Lee red and blue filters to block visible light but pass IR.

Since I'm not going to master this film with one roll, maybe I should just try every creative thing I can think of...if I can't have a controlled experiment, why not an out of control one? If I see anything promising, I can then pursue it further. 8 x 6x9 on 120 doesn't give me a lot of choices, however.

I think I bought a single roll to limit my losses...kind of like slot machines with one pocket of change only, no wallet.

I'll aim for a day with some kind of detail in the skies to minimize hoping for haze see-thru.

Thanks
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having re-read my post I'm sorry for it sounding very negative. As it was my first roll, I guess I was somewhat disappointed. Its interesting to read Martin's experience. We both used very similar filters, the same developer and times, yet he is getting good results. I've still got four rolls, so may be my experience may change?

Barry

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I'm sure it will...it'll be a different day!

Only deterrent to trying again might be the cost of developing...you've already paid the film mortgage off...I'm in the same boat...got the film, gotta try it.
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryWilkinson View Post
    Having re-read my post I'm sorry for it sounding very negative. As it was my first roll, I guess I was somewhat disappointed. Its interesting to read Martin's experience. We both used very similar filters, the same developer and times, yet he is getting good results. I've still got four rolls, so may be my experience may change?

Barry
    Give it a go again, well worth it. Below is a recent pic i took with the film with exposure and dev settings from above

ROllei IR400 Pic
    Last edited by martinhughesireland; 02-07-2008 at 07:46 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used a Heliopan 695 filter with this film with good results. It was even hand-holdable with a 21mm lens on the Bessa-L - set the meter to 320 and fire away!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use the Rollei stuff with a #87 all the time... quite long exposures but well worth it. I typically do EV+12 compensation and that yields good density. Note that in the winter you will have much less IR foliage reflection of course. Mid spring seems to be the very best time for that.

Good luck!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I made one roll this summer using the Contax Aria and a Hoya IR72 filter. My finding was that the real speed would be 12-25 Iso, but this depends on the light meter of the camera. For comparison my Leica M6 with the same filter in front of the lens was giving 2 full stop darker measure than the Aria.

Elia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin