Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,006   Online: 1028

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa MCP 310 & 312 (RC) - fogging issues?

Do the Agfa Multicontrast Premium RC papers have a tendency to fog relatively quickly? I have a pack of 310 & 312, and opened one to do some 6x6 contact sheets last weekend - the paper was pretty badly fogged. First I thought I was doing something wrong (inexperience), but after a few sheets all came out muddy and low-contrast, I realized what was going on.

Both these packs were bought in September 2006 and stored along with the rest of my papers in a cool dark place. The other papers, some of which were bought earlier, are all fine.

The developer I used was Dektol (1+2) for 2 minutes, followed by Ilfostop and Ilford Rapid Fixer. FWIW, I use a red safelight. Did that have something to do with the fogging? None of the packs have any expiration dates on them.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

TIA.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had similar issues with AGFA MCC FB. I have decided to stay away from this paper until Fotoimpex introduce the new stock. A truly great paper when it works though.

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience with relative young AGFA (VC) paper is the same, that is that it fogs quite fast, much faster than Ilford IMHO. Sometimes the paper can be rescued by using benzotriazole. Older AGFA stock (fixed grade) seems to survive much better...

Best,

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm using MCC 111 FB wit a process before date of 09/2004 with no issues. I bought quite a few 25 packs when a local store was closing it out two years ago. They displayed them on the shelf, not cold stored.

Sadly I've used most of this great paper.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry to hear of your problem. There is little worse that that sinking feeling in the darkroom when it dawns on you that you have a problem that may be beyond rescuing. Although you bought fairly recently in Sept 2006, doesn't the paper have to be much older due to the collapse of Agfa? I wonder when the last MCP rolled off the production line? Presumably the pack does have a code on it from which Agfa could have identified its production date. I wonder if there is any source left which can tell you what the date was?

A company in the U.K. called Keyphoto is still selling quite a range of MCP which must be quite old so presumably most if not all of it is still fog free. If most of it was fogged it just wouldn't be worth its reputation to continue to sell it, especially at a high price compared with its Ilford equivalent. I had two boxes, long since used up, at the start of my darkroom career and was very impressed with the blacks. It seemed to really suit shots of gleaming machinery such as motorcycles.

You may have been just unlucky.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply and share your experiences.

Pentaxuser, you are right: although I bought the paper (from Freestyle) in Sep 2006, I don't know how long before it was made. There are some codes on the packet which might indicate when the paper was made, but I won't bother with that. Since this paper was quite cheap ($10.99, closeout prices?), I don't feel too bad - except for the fact that the paper is going to waste.

Best wishes,
    Sanjay

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to have a similar problem with the Agfa papers, however the problem seemed to disappear when I switched from a red to an orange safelight.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my case it was not wrong safelights. I developed an unexposed sheet in total darkness and it was severely fogged.

Shooter
    35mm
    Any Agfa paper will be rather old at this point, although it won't all be lost. From what I can tell of our store stock, anything that we got in 2006 or later is still good. We've had varying results from older papers, though, and have taken it off our shelves.

Something else to consider: some time ago, Agfa had a serious problem with the black bags they were using. We sent cases of paper back because the material of the bags (inside the box) was fogging the paper. If you have anything from these batches, it could be the plastic (as well as age) that you're fighting.

Just a heads up.

A

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Curious here about safelights. I recently picked up red safelights for printing Foma papers.

Are red safelights usable (safe) with Ilford papers which I thought recommended OC safelights? Any comments from experience?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin