Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,537   Posts: 1,544,267   Online: 766

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi All!

Now that I'm getting some printing done I need to re-supply. I use Ilford MGIV cooltone and Ilford WB with Ilford's Multigrade developer. Nothing fancy. This stuff goes for $36/2.5L vs. Agfa's Neutol/Plus (one w.out hydroquinone)$6/L (x2.5=$15) which is a huge difference. Is there a big difference here? I've never experimented with paper developers so would appreciate some opinions. If Agfa's not good, what's another affordable regular, I guess cooltone? paper developer?

Also, I want to say "YeeHaw" to my first print using Ilford's WB paper!! With the right subject, this stuff is really nice. In the past, I've never been a big fan of creamy based papers. Too 'corny'? Anyway, now, maybe it's the age mellowing effect?, I think I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this paper. It's the glossy finish. Thinking of maybe trying the pearl finish? Anyway, I thought it was really cool last night seeing the 'almost' finished print lol

Anyway, suggestions appreciated. I added one more similar question on fixers as well. Thanks!

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use Agfa's neutol plus and absolutely love it! I have no idea about cost effectiveness, I just use it because I know it and like it.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jeremy Moore @ May 19 2003, 03:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I use Agfa&#39;s neutol plus and absolutely love it&#33; I have no idea about cost effectiveness, I just use it because I know it and like it. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Me too.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

I love the Ilford wt paper also, Be sure to fix it and wash it well&#33; In my older prints I&#39;m starting to see small deteriation. It has a wonderful ronge to it , so enjoy it.

Tom
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

I&#39;ve read that it exhausts rapidly though. Is this true? Otherwise it sounds like I should give it a try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (chrisl @ May 19 2003, 07:24 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Agfa&#39;s Neutol/Plus </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Neutol is actually the expensive Agfa developer. The MC one is even cheaper and works great with the Agfa paper I use. But you really need to try the stuff to see if you like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For cheap, can you beat Dektol? Here (in Australia), a pkt that makes up 3.8l (about a US gallon?) costs &#036;7-8 AUD (&#036;4.50-&#036;5 USD). I personally prefer liquids and use Agfa Neutol NE (Neutral) and Neutol WA (Warm) but they are over &#036;20/1.25l bottle (&#036;13 USD). Hmmm, I don&#39;t think I like doing these calculations... I didn&#39;t realise it was that much dearer, although you have to take the dilutions into account... better do that 1st before I have a heart attack&#33; The Neutol dilutes 1:7 so 1.25l ends up 10l of working strength developer which makes it &#036;2 AUD/litre. Dektol, I&#39;d dilute 1:1, so end up with 7.6l of working developer, which is roughly &#036;1/litre, so Dektol is effectively 1/2 the price of my preferred Neutol. Hmmm... I don&#39;t use that much of it - just doing some self justification here

You can&#39;t do the math that way. You need to look at how much 1litre of working solution will process. OTOH I don&#39;t think saving a few pennies on developer makes much sense if you don&#39;t like the results.

Just to add more fuel to the fire.

Agfa MC is about &#036;6 Canadian for 1litre locally.
    Mix it at the normal 1:4 dilution and you&#39;ve got &#036;1.20 for 1litre of developer.

The yield is very high. So much so it&#39;s maybe 1 cent per 8x10.

Even if it was 5x that the paper costs alot more then the developer. So buy what works best for you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    true. I never exhaust my developer so it didn&#39;t occur to me to factor that aspect in too&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin