Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,522,070   Online: 796

Shooter
    35mm RF

Delta 3200 D76 or Pyrocat HD?

Just thought I'd see your opinions. I have around 10 rolls of Delta 3200 exposed at 1600. If I develop them now I have D76 available to soup them in. If I wait til I get back to Mexico City I can use my Pyrocat HD. The advantage of developing now is not having to worry about X rays, lead bags, or trying to convince the almost always unwilling customs officer to hand inspect. Also D76 kind of fail proof, while I've only seen a few examples and published times of this film in pyrocat (albeit, very nice ones).
    What would you do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you pack your undeveloped film in your carry on luggage you should be ok.

Since you exposed the film @ EI 1600 I would choose another developer than Pyrocat. In my experience this combination produce too thin negatives. Pyrocat and Delta 3200 @ EI 1000 is a much better combination in my opinion.

Cheers
    Claes

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd just use the D-76 so you can travel with peace of mind. I guess the p-cat stain would cut down on the apparent grain but hell, it's going to be grainy anyway... Best. Shawn

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Are their other advantages of P-cat with this film other than cutting down on grain?

Thanks,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you, like me, get developing times with Delta 3200 in Pyrocat in excess of 20 minutes – I would not expect anything that can be remotely described as fine grain. In my environment this combination produce negatives with a long tonal scale, beautiful tonality and very sharp grain.

If want finer grain I would go for full strength D76.

Cheers.

C

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mexipike View Post
    Are their other advantages of P-cat with this film other than cutting down on grain?

Thanks,
    John
    accutance; good control of highlight tones; some level of compensation;

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin