Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,682   Posts: 1,548,521   Online: 866

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mearns View Post
    First of all thanks everyone who has replied, GREAT responses! Just what I was after.

Not really, I'm all for opinions over facts in this case, I like to know why people like or don't like film...

Thanks
    It's really intersting to read peoples opinions on things where there is no real answer to what is best.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffHill View Post
    It's really intersting to read peoples opinions on things where there is no real answer to what is best.
    Thats exactly it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    ...I used to use a lot of Plus-X and Kodak paper, both of which have been discontinued now.
    B&W papers, yes they have been discontinued for some time. Plus-X, that's news to me. Just bought 20 rolls of 120 last week, and it's fresh dated too. I've had no problems getting my hands on 100 ft. bulk rolls of 35mm stock either. AFIK, there is no news from Kodak about its discontinuance, and I've checked for press releases.

Check your facts before a rampaging rumor about another film biting the dust goes viral, will ya? Next thing you know, it will become a self fulfilling prophesy.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Film Poll

Well there you go Mearns : Apugers have just recommended every film currently available..
    With the exception of Lucky brand film...

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Ilford is good enough for true born Englishmen, then it's good for anyone, by God!

HP5+ in PMK/PCAT-lovely smooth prewar tones [Preceptol for finer grain-dilute Perceptol is lovely with anything in fact]
    XP2-likewise but has the grain of a medium speed film
    Neopan 400-punchier than HP5 and pushes well, especially in XTOL
    Delta 3200-for when you feel the need....the need for speed. A godsend for MF portraits in available light [good with DDX, Micropen, FX37]
    Agfapan 25/100/400-lovely tones but RIP
    ADOX-worth checking out if you liked Agfa [good with staining devs, 2 baths, Microdol, Perceptol]
    Foma-ditto
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is no worse feeling then pulling the film from the fix and discovering a defect. For that reason, I would suggest you NOT purchase the cheapest films available. Kodak, Ilford and Fuji should have something that fits your needs. I would stick with them due to their Quality Control. You do get what you pay for. Personally I use Tri-X if the print is going to be enlarged (4x5 or smaller) and TMax 400 for those that will be contact printed (5x7 and above)

Just my 2 cents
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I second the HP5+ in dilute Perceptol.
    I just started doing this combo after reading Barry Thornton's book 'The Edge of Darkness'.
    I shoot my HP5+ at 200 and develop in Perceptol 1:3, it seems to have opened a whole new world to my negatives as before they always seemed to be too contrasty.

BTW
    Ultrafineonline in the US still has bulk rolls of Agfa APX100 and APX400 for $27 and $31 respectively. Not sure if they ship overseas though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For both 135 and 120 - you can't really go wrong with Tmax 100 and 400. If it's cheap - why not? I think those films are really good, they display a very nice tonal range and the quality control is second to none.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm a big fan of APX 100 (which is what Rollei Retro really is). At first, I wasn't impressed by the grain but after learning how to use this film, it has really come into it's own. I really love the tones and sharpness I get from using this film. The unfortunate thing is that they have stopped making it. Hopefully, we'll see a form of it resurrected in the future.

BTW, Ultrafine does ship internationally (at least to Canada) and they are an excellent source of this film at very good prices.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 02-10-2008 at 07:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin