Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,438   Online: 1080

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sandy, I'm confused. You list developing times for SBR 9 through 12, but times for shorter SBRs (5 through 8). Am I missing something here?

Peter Gomena

P.S. I agree that this is a great film/developer combination. The tonality is really smooth. Thanks for the test results!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    Sandy, I'm confused. You list developing times for SBR 9 through 12, but times for shorter SBRs (5 through 8). Am I missing something here?

Peter Gomena

P.S. I agree that this is a great film/developer combination. The tonality is really smooth. Thanks for the test results!
    Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for pointing this out. Somehow the data was totally garbled. I think this happened when I edited the message to correct a typo. Here is the true SBR data.

SBR -----Time of Development in Minutes
    10 ----- 9 minutes
    9 -----12 minutes
    8 -----14 minutes
    7 -----20 minutes
    6 -----29 minutes

Sandy
    Last edited by sanking; 02-09-2008 at 09:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Sandy

Perfect timing... I've just started testing Acros roll film with Pyrocat HD and minimal agitation.

I just wanted to clarify - you indicated no pre-soak was used. Have you changed your mind about pre-soaking for minimal agitation with roll film and Pyrocat? (last year you recommended 5 minutes for stand and minimal ag. situations.)

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Swinnard View Post
    Hi Sandy

Perfect timing... I've just started testing Acros roll film with Pyrocat HD and minimal agitation.

I just wanted to clarify - you indicated no pre-soak was used. Have you changed your mind about pre-soaking for minimal agitation with roll film and Pyrocat? (last year you recommended 5 minutes for stand and minimal ag. situations.)

Dave
    I still recommend the pre-soak, though I believe two minutes is enough for minimal agitation. However, when all development times are ten minutes or longer the pre-soak is not necessary for testing since it will have very little impact on contrast.

With any type of minimal agitation it is very important that the first minute of agitation be quite vigorous and as random as possible.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sandy,

I tried some Acros today with my 6x7 (but used Pyrocat-MC) using the details above for SBR 7. Stunning results!

Thanks,
    Rick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Olson View Post
    Sandy,

I tried some Acros today with my 6x7 (but used Pyrocat-MC) using the details above for SBR 7. Stunning results!

Thanks,
    Rick
    Hi Rick,

I have been using Acros with both -HD and -MC for about six months with MF 6X7 and 6X9 and am really pleased with the fine grain and sharpness. However, I had actually never tested it with BTZS and thought this would be interesting to add more precision to my work.

What I like about Acros, in addition to the very fine grain and very high resolution is the fact that, 1) reciprocity failure is very low, which means that in low light conditions exposures might actually be shorter than with a high speed film like HP4+, and 2) EFS is fairly constant over a wide range of SBR conditions.

Good luck with your work with this film, and thanks for the report.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    ... For scanning I would recommend reducing development times by about 15%...
    Hi Sandy,

Why should I reduce the development times for scanning?

Thanks,
    Armando

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Results below.

SBR Time
    9 11 minutes
    10 14 minutes
    11 20 minutes
    12 29 minutes

The tests indicate that the EFS (effective film speed) of Acros is about 115 with this developer and type of agitation, and is virtually the same from SBR 9 through SBR 6 so no change of development is indicated for Plus or Minus develoment within these limits.

Sandy King

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for pointing this out. Somehow the data was totally garbled. I think this happened when I edited the message to correct a typo. Here is the true SBR data.

SBR -----Time of Development in Minutes
    10 ----- 9 minutes
    9 -----12 minutes
    8 -----14 minutes
    7 -----20 minutes
    6 -----29 minutes

Sandy
    it is early so sorry if i am not getting it but is the second chart the chart to use? seems that they are opposite each other.

i plan to use this film for my pinhole cameras as the reciprocity is excellent! what would you say i should use for printing on VC papers? thanks again.

eddie

ps. i have just began mixing HD from bulk chemicals. so far so good. this is fun!
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have you by any chance similar figures for developing Acros/Pyrocat HD in a Jobo processor please Sandy? I'd love to be able to tweak my timings. Currently it all gets 10 min 15s on the fast rotation speed of 75rpm.

Many thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mr. King. I hope you'll forgive me if this is too much of a tangent, but as I see and have known about your comprehensiveness with data, I'm going to ask that slippery question. Why pyro? I worked successfully for two years with four different pyros, primarily pyrocat, then even Illumitol from a New Zealander's formula. I never had a problem matching those results with D-76, if I did a side by side photograph regardless of the brightness range, using VC papers.

Ultimately I found the pyro highlights were a little flat compared to 76, and ultimately as a fellow once said on rec.darkroom, "it's just a matter of whether you like creamy highlights or crisp ones". To develop for snappier highlight with pyro would seem to defeat the purpose completely.

So is there data to suggest you are getting more tones to the paper, or something else I'm not considering, or does this interest in pyro remain inexplicable and a subjective artistic choice? I'm hoping for more than a "whatever works for you" response, again because your interest in data seems so complete.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin