Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,458   Online: 1112

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my free copy of the British Black and White Photography magazine (thank you Ailsa&#33 I read about tea-staining as a form of toning a photograph. For the postcard exchange group on this forum, I printed an image of an old,scary-looking clown. The Ilford RC multi-contrast postcard paper stock is a briliant white base colour and cool tones, so I tried this tea-staining to yellow-up the image to give an older vintage feel to the image. I put 2 black tea bags in about 3/4 liter of boiling water and placed prints in it while it was still quite hot. As it cooled the staining took longer. I think it worked quite well. Some of you will see first hand after the mailing this week. So if you haven't tried tea-staining yet, I say try it, you might like it too!
    Frank S.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds like a piece of cake!
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Does the acid in the tea cause another kind of staining in about 10 years? Does the acid wash out and leave a safe stain? Do you wash it after the tea bath? Sorry for the reverse order - I am a sdrawkcab kind of guy ...

Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very good question, Frank. I asked my buddy to whom I gave the magazine, to check the article but unfortunately it does not say anything one way or the other about washing after the staining. We could conduct a scientific test about this. 1/2 of those who get my postcard should re-wash it to neutralize the acidity of the tea, and the other half should not. In 10 and 25 years down the road we'll check and see if there is any problem with the unwashed ones.

Frank S.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    he he he .... you make joke ... no??
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Large Format
    No, I actually took it to be a valid scientific study that he suggested...Now, to determine who will be around to report on the findings..
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Aggie, Now why didn't I think of that?...Does forty two hours count as 25 years or does this digigizmo testing system work on some ill defined and mysterious curve?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin