Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,924   Posts: 1,585,018   Online: 1023

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Replacement for Kodak HIE

Now that HIE is no longer being manufactured I am searching for a replacement that will give me similar results.This "new" film must be priced within my meager budget and fairly close to my location (eastern Canada).

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is nothing similar. All of the available infrared films have much less sensitivity to infrared, and I'm pretty sure all have an anti-halation layer.

That said, I really like the Efke IR film with an infrared filter (#25 red filter will not give much of an IR look, if at all).

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I am not sure that efke IR has an anti halation layer. I think not. Results seem to be very special, but you have to try it (so do I). My problem with Efke is their quality control: their films have scratches and pinholes. That's a pity, cause otherwise, their are pretty good as very old fashion films.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't want to get in a big debate, but merely point out that many of the "quality control" issues concerning Efke, are actually attributable to improper handling during processing. Efke films have an exceptionally soft emulsion when wet, and are easily damaged and abraded by less than careful handling, sediment abrasion, etc. I'm not saying they have never had a bad batch, just that in my experience with the film, most of my "issues" turned out to be happening on my end of things. Once I began to understand the special nature of this film, they cleared up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only "substitute" was Maco Aura, which lacked the AH layer, and is also discontinued. My shop back home has one 4x5 box left...ringing in at about $80 USD IIRC.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Efke may look the same but it doesn't SHOOT the same...

The Efke 820c in 35mm and 120 gives a remarkably similar IR effect to Kodak's HIE when shot through an 092 or 072 infrared cut-off filter. Even though it has an anti-halation layer, the highlights halate and glow just like HIE when I've tested the film. The film is most dissimilar to HIE in it's sensitivity and speed. A red filter is mostly useless, and does not enhance the IR effect. The Efke 820c speed is very slow, ASA 1 (4 seconds at f8 in sunlight) in the same developer I was using for HIE to get ASA 40. So, no looking through the lens and handholding without a tripod. I have side-by-side tests on my Flickr page if you want to see the difference.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/schafphoto/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I was just wondering if anyone has heard of some other company coming up with a new high speed infrared film. I was just getting into trying HIE when it was pulled. I will be trying some of the Efke film this spring since I really like the IR effect. The low ASA doesn't bother me but it would be good to have another available film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    I am not sure that efke IR has an anti halation layer. I think not. Results seem to be very special, but you have to try it (so do I). My problem with Efke is their quality control: their films have scratches and pinholes. That's a pity, cause otherwise, their are pretty good as very old fashion films.
    I have to agree on the Efke quality control issues. I like this film a lot but I have had a great deal of scratches and holes on many rolls. I take great care when handling this film and I have never had these problems with any other films I have used.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak HIE was unique in that it responded to IR all the way out to 1050nm. The other so-called IR films cut off before 900nm. That can make a big difference in the rendition of the scenes (the "IR effect").

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is what my supplier suggests in a newsletter today, I have no experience nor opinion and the prices are Australian Dollars:

<<Not all is lost though as there is a saviour.
    Maco Rollei makes a superb IR film to match Kodak HIE

With an unfiltered speed of 400 ISO and a sensitivity of 820nm it is almost the direct equivalent.
    This film is a high contrast, fine grain emulsion with excellent tonal range, and a resolving power of 160 Lp/mm.
    In addition it is ideal for scanning.
    Special halation effects are possible (the AURA effect) by using longer exposures.

Maco Rollei Infrared 35mm 36exp AUD Inc. Tax: $13.20
    Maco Rollei Infrared 35mm 30m AUD Inc. Tax: $99.00
    Maco Rollei Infrared 120m AUD Inc. Tax: $14.30
    Maco -IR 820c 4x5 25sheet AUD Inc. Tax:$132.00>>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin