Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,052   Posts: 1,561,203   Online: 1014

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dry down video.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Jason, you rock
    PBrooks

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    dry down can be a pain in the ass hehehehe. In my lab I have a microwave and for the test strips I microwave them to a complete dry point. this is a great way to speed up the dry down process
    so you can continue onto final prints. I do not recommend microwaving final prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yet again a very god film. I hope the coming DVD will sell well.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    dry down can be a pain in the ass hehehehe. In my lab I have a microwave and for the test strips I microwave them to a complete dry point. this is a great way to speed up the dry down process
    so you can continue onto final prints. I do not recommend microwaving final prints.
    I have a little oil filled electric heater that provides a gentle heat that I use in the winter. It set the print on a piece of matt board over the heater. The matt board helps wick the moisture out of the print. It dries a fiber print in about 10 minutes, and comes out pretty flat.

The DVD is based on RC paper, and that dries pretty quickly. With only 80 minutes to cover the whole subject, its difficult to go in to every tip and trick and still get the job done. I thought about mentioning the microwave, or my heater trick, but I don't think that would be a prudent reccomendation in a general sense, because that would be recommending a product for something other than it's intended use, and somebody not so smart might manage to have some kind of problem, and try to blame me. Silly? Yes. That's what it has come to.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Uhner View Post
    Yet again a very god film. I hope the coming DVD will sell well.
    I hope it will sell well too. As it is begginner DVD, I'm going to price it as low as I can, for students, etc. When your just starting you have already spent a bunch of money, and even though things are cheap these days, it all ads up. I know I'm not gonna get rich with this thing, but in order to put together a concise and thorough overview, well, youtube wouldnt cut it, so it had to be a DVD. It's mostly a labor of love. If it buys a box of film or so periodically, I'm happly financially, but I'm most interested in getting people into darkrooms, and using paper. That's my heartfelt motive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good man.

Cheers

Claes

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    I have a little oil filled electric heater that provides a gentle heat that I use in the winter. It set the print on a piece of matt board over the heater. The matt board helps wick the moisture out of the print. It dries a fiber print in about 10 minutes, and comes out pretty flat.
    10 minutes!
    Isn't that considered a long time for checking dry-down? I personally get bored with darkroom work if it's dragging along too slow, or it's getting late and I'm tired and getting frustrated with something difficult. The session would end.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by panastasia View Post
    10 minutes!
    Isn't that considered a long time for checking dry-down? I personally get bored with darkroom work if it's dragging along too slow, or it's getting late and I'm tired and getting frustrated with something difficult. The session would end.
    Music, check email, check new posts on APUG, look at bikini of the day, get a beer... etc.

Actually, I don't dry out every print and test strip, because once I am familiar with a paper, I don't need too. Very rarely, when I make my first finished print, I need to go back and adjust for dry down.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Not only informative .... entertaining, too.

Thanks.

- Ashton

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Recommendation

I bought RH Design's Stop Clock Professional timer partly because of its dry down feature which is outstanding: I simply press the "less" button until it reaches -8 for Ilford's fiber paper and I get no dry down effect at all. Unfortunately, with the U.S. dollar valued so low right now, the timer is very expensive. Gads, even hiring a prostitute in England for companionship and sex must be very expensive for lonely American businessmen right now, too!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin