Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,562   Online: 1179

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

When should distilled water not be used?

Is there any part of the film developing process where I should not use
    distilled water?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    All parts? It's not necessary. Even during the rinse if you use wetting agent, and blot the final drop from the corner of the film, you won't get any spots.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    All parts? It's not necessary. Even during the rinse if you use wetting agent, and blot the final drop from the corner of the film, you won't get any spots.
    For some developers e.g. Finol it's advised to use distilled waters when mixing up the developer. I use distilled water in my final rinse and for the wetting agent, but, as Walter says, if being carefull its not really necessary. On the other hand it wont ruin anything in any part of the process apart from draining your wallet.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    distilled water?
    If your water quality is good, you might only need to use it for mixing chems.
    I have found that here I can use filtered water for mixing everything, and that my normal tap water is fine for washing.

If there is a place where I wouldn't use distilled water, it would probably be when I mix water with scotch, but I only do that under duress anyway...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's just a matter of your tap water quality: The amount of carbonates and metal ions can vary in a wide way.
    The precaution of FINOL is just an extra given by the manufacturer (Moersch) to be on the safe side. Especially with developers on high dilution (1+100) it can be sometimes a problem.

Above developer is gorgeous with the going to be introduced Rollei SUPER PAN 200 film at the Photokina in 2008 (K÷ln).
    http://www.fotohuisrovo.nl/documentatie/Superpan.pdf

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    distilled water?
    ..you should not use distilled water for washing after fixing because it contains no salts etc. which are normally present in drinking water and which speed up the washing (removal of fixer(by)products....)

Best,

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like to use distilled water for my pre-rinse, developer, and final soak with PhotoFlo added. Don't know if it's necessary, but the tap water in my area ain't the best.
    Regards,
    Alan Huntley
    www.silverscapephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not not use distilled water in my rinsing of negatives, and I do not not use distilled water w/photo-flo as a final dip for negatives. As far a mixing distilled water with chemistry, that's another "not not" that I do not not do. Bad habits are not not hard to break, and I suppose that's why I do not not do what I do. Oooops! I think I just confused myself. It's going to be a long week.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will soon be using filtered "cloud juice" in my darkroom from a rainwater collection system. Anyone else doing so or having done so in the past. The house is in a not heavily polluted area. Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by nsurit View Post
    I will soon be using filtered "cloud juice" in my darkroom from a rainwater collection system. Anyone else doing so or having done so in the past. The house is in a not heavily polluted area. Bill Barber
    Once upon a time distilled water was expensive. It took a lot of energy to distill it. Now, AFAIK, it's just reverse osmosis, done super well. Same as drinking water, but they leave a few salts in so that it isn't flat to the taste buds.

At $1.50 a gallon, why collect it? It will have dirt and pollen and other nasties in it, too. I didn't realize that Houson wasn't heavily polluted.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin