Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,488   Online: 913

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I am currently undertaking a photo course during which we have been using Acros film as the main medium and developing it in either a 2 bath staining or Pyro Cat.

However, one of the other tutors I know is very much against using staining/tanning developers with Acros as they may damage the emulsion.

I have alot of respect for both tutors and so don't want to start a 'He said this, but he said this....type argument'.

I am therefore looking for some guidance, and preferably documented evidence, to allow me to make an informed choice - and live with it!

Many Thanks for your anticipated help in this matter.

Gareth

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

If you can shoot several peices of film of the same subject and then process some film in each situation. then print and present your case as a comparison, then decide which acheives the best results based on your needs.
    Stop trying to get into my mind, There is nothing there!

Shooter
    Large Format
    I agree with the previous post. Sounds like you have two instructors that need to come to an agreement. The proof of whether it harms the emulsion or not is in the results and not someone's ill researched opinion.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used ACROS 8x10 in ABC and Pyrocat HD and have not seen any damage done to the emulsion. Perhaps you might want to ask him where he got his information. Most of te staining developers contain fairly common developing ingredients aside from pyrogallol, or pyrocatechin. I really doubt any of these two would "damage" the emulsion as they also hardening in addition to staining developing ingredients.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I recently asked a question about Acros and Pyro effectiveness and developing times. None of the replies suggested the combination was bad.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    If I were you I would ask the instructor to explain the mechanism by which a staining developer harms the emulsion of the film, or the authority on which he/she bases this opinion.

Most staining developers (and this includes PMK, ABC, Rollo Pyro, Diaxactol and Pyrocat-HD) tan as well as stain, and the tanning actually hardens the emulsion as the film is developed, making it less susceptible to damage from scratching or tearing away from the base during the final stages of processing. In other words, films developed in staining /tanning developers are actually less likely to emulsion damge than films developed in traditional developers.

I think your instructor just got it backward.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I've used rollo pyro fairly extensively with Acros in a Jobo processor. I far as I can tell the emulsion suffered no damage.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just developed my last 4 sheets of ACROS and they were all fine.....I have never heard of this form another people either.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Jorge, how far can ACROS films be pushed? I have thought about trying it but it is very expensive.
    --Aaron
    art is about managing compromise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin