Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,527   Posts: 1,598,471   Online: 1189

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I've been buying paper from Berlin, as it's far cheaper, I'm now buying film from the US for the same reason. I've set up an account at B&H which was easy.

Ian
    Ian. Can you say which company in Berlin? Assuming it was Fotoimpex I had a look at the site but my German is very poor. Some of the catalogue can be translated into English. It looked a very comprehensive catalogue but nowhere could I see prices.

If it was Fotoimpex it refers you to Fotoimpex England which is in fact Retrophotographic who are their main or possibly its only retailer in England. If the Retro prices reflect Fotoimpex prices in euros then it's no cheaper than other UK stockists for Ilford but then again Retro competes in the UK marketplace and you'd hardly expect it to be cheaper. Of course Fotoimpex prices once converted and allowing for postage might well be cheaper than UK prices as indicated by your reply.

It may be similar to a few years ago when it was cheaper to buy a left hand drive Ford in Belgium than buying it from a UK dealership.

Anyway any help you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Buying from Europe there's no customs, just VAT at the rate applicable in the country your buying from, often less than the UK.

For buying from the US, duty & VAT is paid on packages plus the postage over £100, but as Ilford sheet film is almost half the UK price in the US big savings are possible.

Ian
    I don't think that you are right about the £100. I think that duty has to be paid on anything over £18 imported from the US to the UK. Certainly on the one occasion I bought film from the US costing around £30, I had to pay import duty plus the fixed Royal Mail handling charge, which is something like £8. The cheap US prices weren't worth it when this was paid.

Fanshaw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's correct. Import Duty plus handling charge, plus VAT on the lot. That's why the Channel Island companies split their deliveries into sub-£18 packages.

On the other hand I have recently imported items LF items from the USA valued at around £500 without duty being claimed. So it seems you pays your money and takes your chance.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It is really a bit of russian roulette as far charges. I think on the actual customs & excise website they say it's anything over £18 but they usually won't bother charging duty unless it's over £10 for them, which I assume just covers their administration in some cases.

Strangely this also works if you're in an airport standing right there in front of them, too. I've stood there with a list of VAT/Dutyable items and prices and basically was told to go away (!)
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin