Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,972   Posts: 1,558,666   Online: 1032

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Infra-Red Film

Ted

I was wondering whether any of you have experimented with Infra Red film (other than Kodak) in the Studio. I am trying to get high key movement pictures and although reasonably successful in my first attempts using Konica 120 wonder whether anyone else has tried and had success with this combination or any other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There is a filter for infrared that is almost opaque, and I have seen very high key results from this filter. Sorry, can't remember the exact filter name...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Shooting people with an 89c will be interesting "can you please hold perfectly still for 2 full seconds??" I would love to see the results though. Maybe do like the pioneers did and make sure everyone is posed with a brace.
    Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Can you use the 89c with Konica IR? That film only goes to 720nm, which is about the cutoff for the filter...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I think I ran out of that film before I got my 89c filter - I had been using the red25 with very nice effects on the konica - I bet it would work though - the response of those films are not that exact and I don't think the filters are that tight either. Make it a loooong exposure. Konica doesn't list that as a filter to be used - They only list a Red 25.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OleTj
    Can you use the 89c with Konica IR? That film only goes to 720nm, which is about the cutoff for the filter...
    Not quite true. Konica 750 has a "bi-modal" sesitivity curve with one "peak" at something like 550um, and the other "IR" peak at 750um. Both peaks are uniform (they look like semi-circles) so there is an amount of sensitivity out to ~ i don't know .... 850um or so.

A "Red 25" filter cuts off (attenuates) light below abut 690um rather effectively, so there is no intense gain from an 87 0r 89 filter - and they both have the disadvantage of removing a great deal of the visible light - therefore they are "opaque" - to normal vision.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Funny...

MACO only mentions 12(yellow), 22(orange), 25(red), 29(dark red), 70(very dark red), 88A, 87, and 87C (Black, IR transmitting) on their website...

No mention of 89C on mahn.net, nor in my "filter bible": CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, 62nd edition. There is an 89B, with 50% transmittance at 720nm, however...

The 50% point are (roughly):

25: 600nm
    29: 620nm
    70: 680nm - narrow band filter
    87: 795nm
    87C: 860nm
    88A: 750mn
    89B: 720nm

So 87 and 87C would be very dark for MACO 820, almost totally black for Konica IR750. 89B looks more promising, and is equivalent to what is sold as "R72". 70 would give about the same results as 89B with IR films - except Kodak HIE, where it would cut off some of the far infrared.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, does your book mention unexposed, processed E6 film? Works great with Maco 820n

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin