Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,943   Online: 933

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

photographic 'step wedge'

Hi, I am from Denmark and am reading Tim Rudman's book on toning. I would now like to get into some serious toning myself, and for this I need a so-called 'STEP WEDGE'. Could anyone tell me of a mail-order firm or some such in the U.S. or Worldwide, where I can order a step wedge?

Thanks,
    Deryck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Deryck. The only step wedges I could find were smaller than I liked, so I made my own on 35mm film, taking close-ups of a gray card. Works great, and cheaper too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Deryck,

Welcome to APUG! Like you, I've been reading (all of) Dr. Rudman's books and have decided to get one myself. I'm currently in France and really couldn't find anything here in Europe. So I've ordered one from Freestyle in the US. Check out this link (hope it works): http://www.freestylephoto.biz/sc_pro...t_id=&pid=1239

rachelle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Freestyle has them. The brand name is Stouffer. I tried calling Stouffer directly but that was not very helpful. In the end I bought one from an outlet like freestyle. The View Camera Store has them also. I might have bought it from them actually. Both are sponsors here.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Photographers Formulary has them in two sizes. They have an MF size for 120 and an LF size for 4x5 and larger. Kodak used to sell step wedges in 8x10 sheets. IDK if they are still available.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    If you are using LF cameras, get the 4x5 size and you will likely be happier.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had no problem ordering directly via email from Stouffer.net . They don't run a web shop as such, but still good service and quick delivery, given the fact that they sent the step wedges to Sweden. The shipping and handling from the US to Europe was $10.
    For my work the 4X5 the most useful one and is called "TP 4 x 5". They are sold in 21 and 31 step versions (where the 21 steps have .15 or 1/2 step intevals and the 31 step has .10 or 1/3 step intervals).
    If you are using 35mm or MF film the step wedges are made in those sizes too if you plan to use them from the enlarging head, depending on your enlarger size. (The advantage here is that you "calibrate" with your personal enlarger setup.) The 4X5 size is the most useful if you are going to contact print the step wedge directly on the paper. In short, bigger is better, but it all depends on your needs and your equipment.
    Finally, if you're really "fuzzy" about exact readouts, they sell calibrated step wedges too. I.e. every step is measured with a correctly calibrated densitometer and the read outs are recorded in a sheet which comes with the step wedge. Now, most users find the normal "non-calibrated" step wedges good enough. (The calibrated step wedges cost about $9 more.)

//Björn
    Last edited by edtbjon; 02-14-2008 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added shipping costs et al...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In Europe these people have step wedges.
    http://shop.colourconfidence.com/pro...869&xSec=10384
    Hope this is what you are looking for
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've ordered direct from Stouffer myself, with excellent service and at a better price than the other retailers. I personally prefer the T3110, and contact print it to determine paper speeds and contrast ranges. Click the link: http://www.stouffer.net/TransPage.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin