Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,401   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Development Problem

I have a question with a probable answer obvious to most of you. A few months ago I got an old used medium format camera. I developed one roll of film (Tmax 100) and it came out great. I haven’t done any darkroom work since the 70’s so I was happy. Today I developed a roll of Tmax 100 and the film came out completely clear. I did change developing solutions. This time I used Tmax RS. Is that not able to be used like this? The time, temperature and dilutions were right as far as I know. I know the camera works properly as one roll came out perfectly. Was the roll exposed somehow during loading or was something wrong with the development? I would appreciate any help anyone can give.

Images
    If the roll had been exposed during loading it would have come out black, or at least not clear. Test the developer solution with a piece of exposed film or printing paper. What camera is it? If you can operate the shutter with the back open, make sure it opens when it should. Something must have happened between the first and second rolls and the way you describe the sequence, it is more likely to be something wrong with the developer or the way you mixed it.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you see the frame numbers? If not, it was inadvertently fixed first.
    Easy to do - especially when your excited to see the results as quickly as possible!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for the ideas. I definitely know I did not use the fixer first. The camera is a Mamiya 67RB and I got it with a few lenses. This made me think that I did use a different lens for this roll, a 90mm lens, the first good roll was a with a 127mm lens. I will see if I can check the lens first. Then I will try to check the developing solution or make a new batch, I only used a quarter of the bottle....

Writing this (after checking the cabinet) made me realize that I must have added all of the part B bottle to the quarter of part A, making a bad solution. Also I should have realized that a light leak shouldn't have done this, after working with (but not developing) xrays for almost 40 years. I really appreciate your ideas, I was spinning my wheels, now I think I know what to do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may also have had the darkslide inserted in the camera when taking the shots. With some older cameras (don't know about the RB's) this was entirely possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When my film came out clear, either i loaded it wrong in the film back, or I fixed it first which ive done more than once lol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy06 View Post
    The camera is a Mamiya 67RB and I got
    it with a few lenses...
    You didn't by chance have the lens set
    for mirror lockup? I made quite a trek into
    the woods last year. Came back, processed;
    blank roll.

If the lens is set for mirror lockup and no
    cable attached to the lens the shutter will
    not fire although it is possible to advance
    the film. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Dan, after checking everything, it was not incorrect mixing of chemicals as I at first thought, so I was still baffled. However, your suggestion about the mirror lockup is probably the answer. After I had this incident I was checking the lens and shutter to make sure it was working and I put the mirror lockup knob back to normal position without even thinking about it. When I did that it didn't even occur to me that this was probably the cause of the problem. Thanks to all for your suggestions and things to check. I think the problem is solved.

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mirror lockup on the RB 67 can bite you. I got bit once and had no idea what had happened.

Pull the back off and look thru the camera and see whether it really opens up when you fire the shutter. If the MLU is engaged it'll be pitch black.

C

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    You loaded the film upside-down, the paper backing was on the wrong side, facing the lens. The RB has safety locks to prevent you from tripping the shutter w/the darkslide in place. If you had the mirror locked-up you would'nt be able look through the camera but you could still expose the film. You developed a blank roll.

How do I know this? First, it's the only logical explanation; second, I did the same thing once - it's an easy mistake to make if you have'nt used the camera for a some lengthy period of time.

Paul
    Last edited by panastasia; 02-17-2008 at 08:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin