Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,520   Posts: 1,543,789   Online: 775

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Filthy Film...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's most likely to be frilling of the edges of the emulsion. Tiny particles of emulsion coming off the edges of the film, any undue temperature variations between Dev, Stop, fix, wash etc will exacerbate this. EFKE films aren't particularly well hardened so a re prone to theses problems. You can use a pre-hardening bath before developing, some are listed in the Darkroom Cookbook, (the 3rd Edition is out very soon).

Using a tanning developer like Pyrocat, or PMK will help too as the Pyrocatechin or Pyrogallol tans & hardens the emulsion. If you've processed EFKE films its worth filtering and solutions you're going to re-use.

With good tight processing controls particularly with solution & washing temperature you shouldn't get a problem.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    o
    ...because not one other roll has this junk show on it.
    Other than Efke clean film? I wouldn't put up with it. Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I quit using Efke film for just this reason. I had the same problems as you have plus some gigantic hunks of crud that always seemed to pop up on my best negs. I was using 35mm. I went through 10 rolls and not a good one in the lot.

Never again,

-Fred

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    any undue temperature variations between Dev, Stop, fix, wash etc will exacerbate this.
    I was within 1 degree on everything last night, the film is still hanging in the rack, I will take a close look at it to see if there is at least less of this due to my tight control on souping it last night.

It should not be this hard to do, other films are no where near this finicky.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    I quit using Efke film for just this reason. I had the same problems as you have plus some gigantic hunks of crud that always seemed to pop up on my best negs. I was using 35mm. I went through 10 rolls and not a good one in the lot.

Never again,

-Fred
    I am leaning towards this. I have 10 100 foot rolls of 25 I'll need to put on the bay.

Nice handle, that is where I live...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    I am leaning towards this. I have 10 100 foot rolls of 25.
    I'll need to put on the bay.
    Bummer! At least let whoever what may be in store.
    How about a refund? Dan

Shooter
    Large Format
    I had this with expired Fortepan 400 film.. It was a bad batch, there are posts here and elsewhere detailing it.. There were emulsion defects and every frame had specks in it, regardless of how you developed the film or handled it. The specks were visible when you viewed the negs through a loupe or made an enlargement. Very fine little specks and totally randomly spread about.

I also use tap water and reuse my stop and fix. I usually don't filter. I do use a drop of photo-flo for the final wash.. Have you developed anything since? Particularly from the same batch of film?

Shooter
    Large Format
    oops should have read the posts above a bit better..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    Bummer! At least let whoever what may be in store.
    How about a refund? Dan
    That's a misunderstanding, different film. The IR is going back to the shop for an exchange. I am going to shoot Rollei IR until this gets sorted out.

I am souping a test roll of Efke 25 tonight, if it looks good, I will keep the bulk rolls of Efke.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the junk on the film able to be felt, like sandpaper or sand or debris in teh emulsion? Is what you see on all films you process or only this specific film?

It's getting late and I am not quite following what the stuff is on the film. Post a bit more on whether it happens to more than one specific film or if it is more than one. Or do you go a few rolls with no troubles and then it crops up again?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin