Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,487   Posts: 1,644,760   Online: 894

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Filthy Film...

Shooter
    Multi Format

Filthy Film...

Here is my very first frame of IR film. It is Efke IR 820 / R72 in 120mm souped in Rodinal, 1+50, 11 minutes, 68F.

I have been using regular tap water for the whole show, then photo-flo and squeegee. For the most part, my film as been fairly clean, but not this time around...

All of my frames have hundreds of little specks and blobs all over it. What is the deal?

And yes, this frame is out of focus, I forgot to re-focus with the filter on..:-)
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Could it be particulate in your dev? I get these crystal precipitate thingies in my Rodinal bottles after a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is this the dreaded "Efke pinhole effect" mentioned in previous posts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It looks like the "Dreaded Efke pinhole effect!" I used to get some of this with Efke 25. Great film, bad QC. BTW, good shot.

I learned to take two, if not three, shots of everything.
    Last edited by jim appleyard; 02-16-2008 at 06:31 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: addition

Images
    You could imagine they're stars.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pinholes in the negative would print out as black on the positive print, I believe. These look like substance on the neg.
    I would think that if there were particles in the developer, they would be long rinsed out by drying time. If they rested on the emulsion, maybe they could causes dark places, but only if no agitation.
    My vote would be particles in the final rinse, which, for me is always distilled water and P-Flo.
    What about dust in the drying environment? Anything unusual that day?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have had these spots before, infrequently and unexpectedly, on every type of film I have used in the past. The crud that causes these probelms comes from everywhere, dust in the environment that gets on the film while it is wet, chemicals that are stored and reused whether filtered or not, like fixer or developer, and particles in the water. I have never had spots like these on any print when I processed the film in fresh chemicals, used one shot, and when I have used distilled water to mix the fixer, as a final rinse before photoflo, and to mix with the final photoflo application before hanging the film to dry in a reasonably dust free environment. Tap water is not a constant, by that I mean, your tap water can vary considerably in content and quality due to variables that you may not be able to predict. The information you get from a local water facility about quality is no guarantee of the actual quality of the water you get from your tap on any given day. You can have particles in your tap water at times that will produce these problems and at other times your water may have fewer particles in it and you will not notice spots on your prints. Some particles seem to be almost impossible to dissolve. When you happen to hit a bad water day with a particular film, it is easy to make the mistake of blaming it on your film.
    Good luck,
    Doug Webb

Never reuse fix. Never use stop or water. Develope and fix. Use up the fix on test prints. TF4 is alkaline fix and a wonderful product

I never got pin holes with Efke film and never prewashed or presoaked either.

I do have water and airfilters in my dark room.

BTW, throw the squeegee and keep fingers and everything else off wet film except photoflow from an ear syringe that has been cleaned as new and then cleaned before and after each use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Interesting...

My quart of fix now has 12 rolls of 120 on it with these last two rolls of Efke.

Time to mix up a new batch I spose'.

My darkroom for now is my kitchen in my 2 bedroom condo, houses are 3.8 million on the average where I live so my buddy and I are putting together a darkroom in his basement about 30 minutes away.

But no stop bath? Straight to fix?

And drip dry from photoflo?

Tell me more...

I am shooting on location in DC this week, so I will amass this info and give it another go.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Never reuse fix. Never use stop or water. Develope and fix. Use up the fix on test prints. TF4 is alkaline fix and a wonderful product

I never got pin holes with Efke film and never prewashed or presoaked either.

I do have water and airfilters in my dark room.

BTW, throw the squeegee and keep fingers and everything else off wet film except photoflow from an ear syringe that has been cleaned as new and then cleaned before and after each use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So here we are some 6 months later, same crap. It's embedded in the emulsion, specks of some sort. I have used fresh everything, even switched it up just now to D76 straight, fresh, distilled water stop bath, etc. and I get the same crap all over my negs.

It's really too bad, the film is really nice, great IR effect, tonality. I have a roll of Efke 25 to soup tomorrow, I'll see if it does the same thing, because not one other roll has this junk show on it.

If Efke's Q/C is this bad, I had better get rid of all my stock of it, I can't afford this problem as a pro. At this point, I have one shot that needs to go to print that can not be redone that is going to cost me at least $200 in outside photoshop work to be press ready.

What a drag...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin