Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,420   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Developing different films together

I remember reading when I started developing film that you mustn't develop different types of film together in the same tank. It didnt say why. I have always follwed this advice, but occasionally I have found that two different films need the same development time - is it safe to do them together? Or is there some reason other than timing for not doing this?

Thanks

Ritchie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I do it. I just did Plus-X and TMAX sheet film
    keep times straight and I have no idea what could possibly go wrong

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Recently I developed Tmax400, FP4 and HP5 together, in Pyrocat HD, with no problem. My times for these films would only vary very slightly if I process separately.

However I made a huge mistake processing my first rolls of Fomapan200 alongside Tmax400, as I've since done some Zone system tests and discovered that my dev time for Fomapan 200 should be 10 minutes and not the 15 minutes I gave them. 15 mins was equivalent to N+2 so the negatives were excessively contrasty.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I process APX 100 and Tri-x together in Rodinal 1:50 no problems.
    Mark
    http://photo-utopia.blogspot.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you took the films to a commercial B&W lab they'd all get developed together for the same time, unless you pay a premium for hand processing.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Any B&W film(except chromo) - any size - any speed - Acros - Tri-X - Delta 400 - whatever your favourite - use Prescysol. Put them all in together and give 10.5 minutes. Excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    wobsy Prescysol is what?

Isn't it an imitation of Pyrocat HD.

Ian

Images
    Good Afternoon, Ritchie,

As others have indicated, developing different types of B & W film in the same batch usually isn't any problem at all as long as they require the same or nearly the same developing time.

If you are well organized and careful, films with significantly different developing times can be managed in one batch. Be sure that the film requiring the shorter time is on the top reel (or reels) in the tank. When its (or their) required time is complete, remove the appropriate reel(s), transfer it or them temporarily to a film washer, and continue to the end of the required time for the remaining film. OBVIOUSLY, the lights must be turned off during the transfer procedure and thereafter until all the reels are back in the covered tank for the fixing step, which will ordinarily be the same for all the film types. Should the films require differing fixing times (longer for T-grain, for example), just favor the longer time for all of them; an extra minute or two in the fixer shouldn't matter. I've used this procedure at various times without difficulty, BUT I don't advise doing it if tired or distracted; you have to do everything carefully and be very comfortable working in complete darkness for part of the time.

Konical

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Good Afternoon, Ritchie,

If you are well organized and careful,...
    Konical
    Too complicated for me, I just developed one film tonight and forgot to put the central core in the tank, so its all fogged.

Thanks for all the replies, I will mix up the films if the time is the same in future,

Ritchie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Konical View Post
    Good Afternoon, Ritchie,

As others have indicated, developing different types of B & W film in the same batch usually isn't any problem at all as long as they require the same or nearly the same developing time.

If you are well organized and careful, films with significantly different developing times can be managed in one batch. Be sure that the film requiring the shorter time is on the top reel (or reels) in the tank. When its (or their) required time is complete, remove the appropriate reel(s), transfer it or them temporarily to a film washer, and continue to the end of the required time for the remaining film. OBVIOUSLY, the lights must be turned off during the transfer procedure and thereafter until all the reels are back in the covered tank for the fixing step, which will ordinarily be the same for all the film types. Should the films require differing fixing times (longer for T-grain, for example), just favor the longer time for all of them; an extra minute or two in the fixer shouldn't matter. I've used this procedure at various times without difficulty, BUT I don't advise doing it if tired or distracted; you have to do everything carefully and be very comfortable working in complete darkness for part of the time.

Konical
    One further thought. If you are going to do this, you should make sure that you have plenty of developer in the tank. I would expect that if you are working close to capacity, the longest developed film might use an unequal share of the developer's activity, before the other film(s) is/are added.

Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin