Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,904   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Apart from the chemical distribution factor discussed above, increased agitation, as a general rule, will normally increase contrast. I've never used Diafine, hence the caveat, but always give an initial 10 / 15 second vigorous agitation at the start of the period with gentle inversions thereafter.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    Apart from the chemical distribution factor discussed above, increased agitation, as a general rule, will normally increase contrast. I've never used Diafine, hence the caveat, but always give an initial 10 / 15 second vigorous agitation at the start of the period with gentle inversions thereafter.
    Yes normally but being a two bath developer the active developing agent is absorbed by film emulsion in bath A and activated in bath B. More agitation in A will not matter and more agitation in B will only dilute (if anything) the A absorbed by the film thus reducing contrast.
    Kind regards
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

S°ren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's interesting you've had problems with seemingly the same agitation as I do. I just did some negs in Diafine last night and it's the only developer I know I absolutely have to do 3 inversions every 30seconds for (the rest I normally do 3 inversions every minute). I used to get streaky negatives if I did 3inversions/1minute. I've run a lot of rolls through my Diafine including c-22 negatives and never had a problem with contamination. I always do 3minutes in each solution. I've never done that inversions for the first 30seconds stuff for any film so I just consistently invert 3 times at 15seconds (about the time it takes to put the top on) and 45seconds, etc.
    Maybe I am a bit more rough with my inverting than the average person.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren View Post
    Yes normally but being a two bath developer the active developing agent is absorbed by film emulsion in bath A and activated in bath B. More agitation in A will not matter and more agitation in B will only dilute (if anything) the A absorbed by the film thus reducing contrast.
    Kind regards
    You are quite right, I had forgotten that it was a two stage process.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One aspect is how often you agitate but another is how hard you shake. If you encounter such streaking one possible way out is what Kodak proposed for Technidol and Techpan to get rid of the unevenness this combination was famous for: When you shake, shake the hell out of it and let it sit in between. With diafine I practise short, hard inversions, causing maximum turbulence in solution A and switch to gentle inversions in B.

Stefan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So when I get uneven development with Diafine it is usually because the film has absorbed part A unevenly? If so, Stefan's suggestion sounds good. I have always used gentle agitation...

Interesting. I'm actually thinking about getting some Diafine again. The ability to process color film in it is something that sounds pretty cool (for b&w printing).

Thanks to you all for your time and effort in helping out.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You can process any colour film in B&W chemicals but you may not be able to get a decent print out of it because all the dye layers are still in the film making the masking very dark. I've only used it on c-22 because I'm too cheap to get rolls of c-22 that have no significant meaning developed properly at a high cost and long waiting time. Also because of Diafine's ability to develop "to completion" I've used it for unidentified rolls of old film for that reason. It means I don't have to guess at a time using another developer like Rodinal, for example, what's there will be there when diafine is done with it. End of story, in my mind.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is not agitation in the developer.

I am going to go out on a limb and ask:

Did you mix up a fresh batch of fixer?

Because I'm thinking you didn't stir
    it enough and you're seeing the effects
    of fixer hitting the negative in different
    concentrations.

Blame the fixer, not the developer.

RFXB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Before you try more aggressive agitation can I suggest you try stirring solution a and solution b for 30"-1' prior to using? The problem could be that the chemistry has settled between batches and needs be brought back into solution. Just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would think that in solution A you can agitate a lot to get it into the emulsion
    Probably agitating the 1st 30 secs and then at least once every 30s may help

Solution B is a different story, and IIRC agitation was only recommended at the beginning and then nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It certainly looks like an agitation problem, doesn't it? But... how can you agitate more than 5s every 30s? I also did initial agitation of 30s. I developed 4 minute part A and 4 minutes part B.
    Prior to these five rolls I had ten that were fine with Diafine, and hundreds that were fine with Rodinal or Pyrocat. After this incident I've only ever had a few rolls that were bad, and they were film defects from one specific batch.
    Since I got the same problem with a roll after these five, with the same chemistry - is it possible that it was a chemistry problem? I'm really curious. Or else I agitated poorly for two film development sessions and never before or after that again, and that is just too much of a coincidence. Or it was one of those once in a million occurrences. I don't know. It doesn't matter now, I guess.

Thanks for playing, I think I had best just forget about this episode and look ahead instead.

- Thomas
    Mama took my APX away.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin