Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,208   Online: 712

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This is flying around Europe but my delta3200(pushed to 6400) and fuji pro800Z (1 roll pushed to 1600) went through 3 carry-on x-ray machines without any effects. No one would give me a hand inspection(and was too rushed the one time to ask for one, speedy change through Oslo). No lead bags either.
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't understand this thread.

The OP wants to avoid inconvenience by putting his 3200 etc. in a lead bag for carry-on because it's too hard to take the film out for hand inspection.

But all a lead bag accomplishes is to "flag" itself so that the inspector then asks to see what's inside.

At which point, having been now inconvenienced, you have to drag the x-ray film bag out of your carry-on so as to have it hand inspected!

What a friggin' waste of time compared to just putting your film rolls in a clear plastic baggie and handing them to the inspector at the outset for hand inspection.

EDIT: BTW, as has been discussed here several times - 120/220 rolls have no metal and so, unless you're carrying an armload, you can put them in your pocket and walk through the scanner without setting anything off!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From the various threads on this and the LFP forum it seems that the US airports have a very relaxed attitude to scanning and security compared to Europe and other parts of the world.

The vast majority of airports outside the US won't hand scan film, they' also make you take bulky items out of pockets, jackets or coats have to be scanned, so it's difficult to bypass the scanners by putting film in your pockets. If they can't tell what an item is when they scan it the first time they'll make you take it out of your hand baggage & then they'll scan it again.

Contrary to what some people seem to assume the airport security hand-baggage scans are designed to be safe, both to the operators, messengers and film. In the UK, and I'd guess other countries, there's a committee made up of representatives from the major film companies, Ilford, Fuji & Kodak along with airport security authorities to ensure that the checks are safe for film.

The lead bags were originally made for older technology baggage scanners, the last time I saw one of these was at Philadelphia airport, but the airport was undergoing reconstruction at the time.

So the lead bags are probably a waste of time, the chances are you'll be asked to remove the film and then have it checked again.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    I don't understand this thread.

The OP wants to avoid inconvenience by putting his 3200 etc. in a lead bag for carry-on because it's too hard to take the film out for hand inspection.

But all a lead bag accomplishes is to "flag" itself so that the inspector then asks to see what's inside.

At which point, having been now inconvenienced, you have to drag the x-ray film bag out of your carry-on so as to have it hand inspected!
    The problem is that at Mexico City airport they have no interest in hand inspecting film. I tried to ask them & the security woman just barked at me in Spanish to put my bag through the machine.

As for flagging itself, I had a lead bag with dozens of rolls of film in my backpack that went through LAX twice, Mexico City twice & once each for Auckland & Sydney & passed through each time without notice.

I know there are people who think it's all drama about nothing & we should just put the film through the machines, but I have seen film with Xray damage, so it's not a myth. I found it pretty easy to pack everything in the lead bag, it's really just part of the whole packing process. A small price to pay to feel that my film will be OK.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin