Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,984   Online: 848

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Is 8 XPF Xray protection enough for carry on film?

I have a good deal of 3200 speed film and plenty of 400 speed which I sometimes push. I know that the best way at the airport is to get a hand inspection, however this is always a pain, and in mexico a lot of times they have no idea what your talking about and have never seen 120 film and wonder what the hell it is. So I bought these lead bags, they protect up to 8 XPF. Is that enough protection for the carry on X Rays?

Thanks,
    John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not if they make you take it out of the lead bag because they can't see what's in it.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It might be, but my experience with the lead bags is that they run the camera bag containing the lead bag through a few times until they figure out what's in the dark blob.
    My conclusion was that they weren't worth it, YMMV though.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use lead bags some times. They do reduce exposure, and the manufacturer should offer a recommendation as to how much protection is adequate. Usually, in my experience, they see it's with a bunch of camera equipment and don't ask to see or X-ray the contents of the bag. Occasionally they ask to X-ray it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Just got back from Argentina and Chile. Took 6 flights (starting in Toronto) in all, and always had the lead bag full of film in my camera bag. Never was held up or had it run through twice.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Shelly-was the bag used rated for 8XPF or was it the 20XPF? Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just heard that TSA has a blog for getting and responding to public comments and questions.
    http://www.tsa.gov/blog/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In December I flew Sydney-Auckland-Los Angeles-Mexico City & then the reverse in January. All airports were happy enough to hand inspect except for Mexico City where they insisted I put all luggage through the X ray machine. Mind you this is having disembarked the plane & about to leave the airport. I understand scanning before boarding a plane but it seems a bit pointless at the other end.
    I had bought a lead bag at Samys in LA & luckily I had all my fast films & 120 in there. I forget what the rating was & can't lay my hands on it at the moment. I was able to fit 40 or so rolls of film in two layers & it was in my carry on backpack flat against the back. So it may not have shown up on Xrays as anything but the support of the backpack.
    Anyway I understand what you mean about the staff at Mexican airports, at least DF. In my travels the TSA staff at LAX were best. they accepted the request for film inspections with good grace & were very quick. Staff at Sydney & Auckland were all private security. Sydney were OK but the NZ people were not keen on hand inspections & each time tried to coerce me into putting the film through their machine.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    The bag I used was the Optex Airport X-Ray Film Protector. Features Quadruple laminated with polyester polyethline lead foil and barium impregnated polyethylene layers and is safe for up to 400 asa film. No other information is on the actual bag. It i distributed in Canada by Gentec International in Markham Ontarion L3R 9X6 www.gentec-intl.com. I will pick up my negs and scans tomorrow and it there seems to be anything worth reporting, I'll add to my post.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks for the reports. Goldie-the airport I most frequently fly into is DF and so far I've always been able to coerce a hand inspection, speaking spanish and saying the word profesional seems to help. But really I'm just tired of dealing with it. Today I'm flying from Tijuana and I guess I'll risk giving my lead bags a try on the carry on scanner. The box claims that they are safe for LOW DOSE scans, I assume that carry on scanners are LOW DOSE SCANS? I"ll report back after I develop my film.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin