Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,862   Posts: 1,583,174   Online: 725

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    It isn't. Copyright in most countries runs for life of author + 70 years, so a book published in 1950 will always still be in copyright.
    Yes you're right Ole.

However the contents of the GAF/Ansco formula book have been reproduced so widely over the last 70 or 80 years that any risk of running into copyright issues would be negligible.

This book was published by a now defunct company, the contents were originally published by the German owned Agfa Ansco company, which was seized by the US Government during WWII and very conveniently never returned to the parent company after the war ended.

There would be more of an issue if the material was being used for financial gain, instead of an academic resource for photographers.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a decent collection of articles from the 1940's on emulsion making and chemistry, but they're all still in copyright. I'd transcribed a large part of one of the articles before I posted on APUG asking if it would be ok to share, under "fair use", and was suggested likely not. I'd love to share the information, personally, but that's how it goes I guess.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Book copyright is covered in outline here: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu...ks.html#whatpd - it seems to be reasonably up to date. These discussions occur so often, I bookmarked it.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleath View Post
    I have a decent collection of articles from the 1940's on emulsion making and chemistry
    I'd be content if you just put together a list of citations -- i.e., Author, title, publisher, etc.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My copy of: FORMULAS FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC USE
    AGFA
    Was copyrighted in 1939 by
    AGFA ANSCO CORPORATION
    BINGHAMTON,N.Y.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Hi all--
    I picked up a cool little booklet today called "Ansco Formulas for B&W photography."
    How about scanning and posting the notch codes?

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    My copy of: FORMULAS FOR PHOTOGRAPHIC USE
    AGFA
    Was copyrighted in 1939 by
    AGFA ANSCO CORPORATION
    BINGHAMTON,N.Y.
    I did a search for this book and found that there is a guy with an Ebay store selling "reprints" (can we say photocopy) for $10. :rolleyes:
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    I did a search for this book and found that there is a guy with an Ebay store selling "reprints" (can we say photocopy) for $10. :rolleyes:
    Mine's an original publication, not a copy.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Neanderman View Post
    How about scanning and posting the notch codes?

Ed
    Added that to the original one:

http://www.mattosbornephotography.com/Ansco/

And I had an old one online a long time ago:

http://www.mattosbornephotography.com/film_chart.jpg
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This thread should be under general B&W. It does not pertain to emulsion making, unless I missed something...

Ole, can you move it to the proper place?

Thanks - Kirk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin