Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,114   Online: 961

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're absolutely correct Kirk, I just didn't notice.

Moved.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Yeah, you should have scanned the pages as B&W line art maybe in the neighborhood of 800dpi. These are grayscale which is harder to read and keeps the file size high.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Yes you're right Ole.

However the contents of the GAF/Ansco formula book have been reproduced so widely over the last 70 or 80 years that any risk of running into copyright issues would be negligible.

This book was published by a now defunct company, the contents were originally published by the German owned Agfa Ansco company, which was seized by the US Government during WWII and very conveniently never returned to the parent company after the war ended.

There would be more of an issue if the material was being used for financial gain, instead of an academic resource for photographers.

Ian
    The Ansco plant in Binghamton had been a vacant lot for several years now the last owner was Kodak who tore it down, I think nobody cares..EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    The Ansco plant in Binghamton had been a vacant lot for several years now the last owner was Kodak who tore it down, I think nobody cares..EC
    And that's why no-one will ever be interested in the copyright of a GAF 1950 publication

Ian

"The Ansco plant in Binghamton had been a vacant lot for several years now the last owner was Kodak who tore it down, I think nobody cares..EC"

I believe the last user of that plant was a company called Anitec who made film and plates for the graphic arts. They were swallowed up by Kodak a long with Polychrome. Anitec I do believe was the old GAF company. So Kodak would own those copyrights.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Added that to the original one:

http://www.mattosbornephotography.com/Ansco/

And I had an old one online a long time ago:

http://www.mattosbornephotography.com/film_chart.jpg
    Thanks! It's interesting that Commercial Orthochromatic shared the same code as Tri-X. And here I always figured the manufacturers coordinated those.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rtuttle View Post
    "The Ansco plant in Binghamton had been a vacant lot for several years now the last owner was Kodak who tore it down, I think nobody cares..EC"

I believe the last user of that plant was a company called Anitec who made film and plates for the graphic arts. They were swallowed up by Kodak a long with Polychrome. Anitec I do believe was the old GAF company. So Kodak would own those copyrights.
    Kodak only bought the graphic arts division of Anitec, so no they wouldn't have the copyright of the Anscp Formulae.

Ian

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Dumb question, perhaps...

What is meant by the terms clean-working and soft-working? I've never seen 'dirty-working' formulae, and maybe a 'hard' vs soft one would be high contrast...or...?

Thanks
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    D76 isn't "clean working" you get a very slightly higher base fog level, some of the PQ formulas used for machine processing were very "clean" working.

You can see the difference with the negatives. Soft and hard is of course the contrast, papers were also sold as soft & hard. So ID-3 was Ilfords Soft developer, and ID-14 the Hard-Contrast developer.

Ian

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks, Ian.
    Murray

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin