Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,382   Online: 769

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm

Components of Sistan

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFinch View Post
    I use Agfa Sistan in distilled water. I have a liter made up and use it over and over for about 20 films - then make another liter. Lasts for ages.

It does the same as LFN in the final wash except it has a couple of added bonuses (the second of which helps a lot here in Florida).

1. It converts the silver in the emulsion to a more stable form making the negatives more archival. (A claim by AGFA)

2. It is anti fungal and so stops the rather nasty stuff eating away at your emulsion in years to come - something I have unfortunately experienced with some of my older negs here in this hot humid climate.

I understand that AGFA has started making it again - at least the DigitalTruth website is advertising it. Highly recommended.

John
    http://www.pictorialplanet.com
    Primarily potassium thiocyanate (fixer) and some Polyoxyethylated Octyl Phenol. Seems to be used as a surfactant, but I could be wrong.

http://www.iephb.nw.ru/~spirov/hazar...enyl_ether.htm

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    For roll film I always used tap water and a photo chamois; it removes every drop, and they last forever. Though, holding sheet film at both ends would be more difficult when using this method. You would need to hold the chamois with both hands to cover the width of the film.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    35mm

Errata! Errata!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Verizzo View Post
    Primarily potassium thiocyanate (fixer) and some Polyoxyethylated Octyl Phenol. Seems to be used as a surfactant, but I could be wrong.

http://www.iephb.nw.ru/~spirov/hazar...enyl_ether.htm
    Boy, less wine or more cognition. Potassium thiocyanate, of course, is not fixer. Fixers are of the thiosulfate family. Couldn't find much about PT except it's a component of artifical blood in theater productions!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tap water and Pho-Flo , then hang to dry without being touched by anything other than my hands since 1960. Never had a problem.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    DISTILLED WATER ROCKS!

I've got a water cooler filled with distilled, and I find it works much better, as I thought it should. It's some of the best $7.50 Canadian a man could buy.

I also have photoflo, but it can leave a bit of scum on the negs. It works better than nothing, because I have extremely hard water, but I see no point in adding it to distilled water. Why add a surfactant to nothing?

(complete lack of dissolved ionic solids in distilled water)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin