Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,677   Online: 740

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Distilled water or Distilled water + photoflo?

I used distilled water only, and it came out the same. It seems easier to clean the tank/reels too. What do you guys think is better?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765 View Post
    I used distilled water only, and it came out the same.
    It seems easier to clean the tank/reels too.
    What do you guys think is better?
    I prefer with Photo Flo. I use an eight blade
    film squeegee; an easy pull. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find Photo Flo reduces spots enough to make its use worthwhile.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Everytime when I used wetting agent, I had problems. So I threw it away, simply use destilled water as last washing fluid.

Before I hang up the film, I wave the reel with the film in it fast through the air to remove excessive water via centrifugal force. I do never touch the film with whatsoever.

I have no dust or whatsoever problems, I use HP5 and ID11.
    Last edited by Dietmar Wolf; 02-18-2008 at 07:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 1 or 2 drops of PF & distilled water.Use your wet fingers to squeegee off excess water and you'll avoid scratching your negs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I do not squeegee off the photoflo + distilled water. Is this a problem?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I started with distilled only (occasional small spots), then eventually it was Ivory and distilled (no spots), and now it's Photo-Flo and distilled (no spots). Since I'm only shooting sheet film these days I use a specific tray for the Photo-Flo dip, and for easy cleaning. Works great.

Shooter
    35mm
    I always use a wetting agent. It's easier than distilled water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to be awkward, I use both: a few drops of wetting agent in distilled water. Probably over-kill but both are cheap enough.

For washing, I just rinse immediately in hot water. I make a point of not letting the wetting agent dry on the reels as people have reported problems with that.

If you find using just distilled works fine then stick with it - different people have different drying conditions.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i use tap water (we have a water softener) and photo flo. i used to use distilled water until i ran out one day, used tap water, and then wondered why i ever bothered with distilled. if i DON'T use photo flo though (like on a test roll of film), i will see water marks. but the distilled seems like overkill. heck, try it. if you get water spots with tap+photo flo, rewash it with distilled. no harm done.

i save my distilled water for when i mix up home-brew developers now. i use tap water even for mixing up fixer and store-bought developers. your mileage (and tap water) may vary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin