Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,648   Online: 933

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My big reproach on Efke films is the bad quality control. You have often pinholes and scratches in emulsion.
    I have tried Efke 25 in PMK following Ed Buffaloes' recommandations. It's nice.
    Concerning the Efke's machinery, the coating machine is very old : she was built in 1949...
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Interesting... does the "thick vs. thin" subject from today's point of view mean the T-grain films are super-thin? As far as I know one target of emulsion research was to save on silver, for obvious cost reasons.

Regarding the highlights, in the scan the highlights are quite burnt. This can also be an effect of the scanning process.
    AFAIK, t-grains can cover a larger surface for less silver than traditional "thin" emulsions, so I suppose they could be called super-thin...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    My big reproach on Efke films is the bad quality control. You have often pinholes and scratches in emulsion.
    I have tried Efke 25 in PMK following Ed Buffaloes' recommandations. It's nice.
    Concerning the Efke's machinery, the coating machine is very old : she was built in 1949...
    WHEN did you have that problem? Some years ago I heard about it, tried about 15 rolls in the last weeks, and there were no such problems.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    WHEN did you have that problem? Some years ago I heard about it, tried about 15 rolls in the last weeks, and there were no such problems.
    Some folks have problems with Efke, some don't; it's hit or miss. when I shoot Efke, I shoot two, if not three of each shot. Not an efficient way of shooting. Great film, poor QC.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shot today with any modern film a good printer could achieve exactly the same look in the print. There's some burning in of the background around the head, very tell-tale it shouldn't show.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am afraid I'll have to disagree with you...

The "look" of this image comes from:

a. the lighting (30%)

b. the format of the neg (10%)

c. the lens on the cam (15%)

d. the film developer used (10%)

e. the paper used for printing (30%)

f. the paper developer used (5%)

If you try to use the same lighting, with a Rolleiflex and a Planar (or Sonnar), develop your film in a tanning developer and print on a REAL fixed grade chlorobromide paper you'll probably get the result you want, whichever film you use. The problem is how you'll get your hands on a paper like the one I describe, since they're almost extinct...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George, you missed the most important part out of your percentages, and I'd guess 50% is the skill of the printer.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    If I were you, I would try the Bergger BRF 200. It's a "copy" or a remake of the Kodak Double-X. I love this film. I use it a lot.
    You can also try Foma Films. They are pretty good. But Efke is bas quality, because emulsion is very fragile.
    Actually, everything I've read about BRF 200 indicates it's supposed to be a copy of Super-XX.

The movie film "Eastman 5222" is Double-X - quite usable for stills - "short ends" are available inexpensively from film stock distributors (35mm only, though).
    i can't wait to take a picture of my thumb with this beautiful camera.

- phirehouse, after buying a camera in the classifieds

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the Forte films are the most 'old fashioned' I've tried, I think classic Pan and Bergger are both Forte.
    Forte are now sadly no longer making film, but there is a lot around, Personally to get that look I'd use Forte in 120.
    Mark
    I have a little test on my blog
    Fortepan 100
    Still trying nail a good setting but rating at EI 64 and developing for 8 mins in Rodinal is getting there for me.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well, as far as I know, BRF films are a bit different from Forte films. They are close, but not the same.

Forte is now closed, but as for papers, I think Bergger is going to keep producing films, using Harman facilities. So, BRF are going to be available again. But stocks are not depleted yet, I have received yesterday a pack of BRF 200 in 120.
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin