Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,661   Posts: 1,481,594   Online: 923

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Sulfite quantum--Tmax 100 developer--single bath--metol

Hello, I am working to devise a film developer for use with TMax 100 (TMX) both sheet film and 120 roll film. Developer parameters:

1. simplicity--one developing agent, metol.

2. grain--acutance/definition trump grain size.

3. contrast--must produce contrast sufficient to contact print on Azo Grade 2. Should have the ability to control gamma by altering the amount of metol in the formula or by changing development times or some combination of the two as determined by testing.

4. usage--no stock solutions. The developer will be formulated at the time of use. Alkali will be kept separate until mixed as a single bath just before development begins. The developer will be used once ("one shot"), then discarded.

5. agitation--Jobo at slowest speed. Hence edge effects are not a concern.

6. subject matter--architectural, indoor and outdoor.

My question at this point: how much sodium sulfite should the developer contain? The role of the sulfite will be as a preservative, not an accelerator, not a silver solvent. What is the least amount of sodium sulfite that will prevent aerial oxidation? I don't know how one would test for the presence of aerial oxidation, or how it manifests itself.

Patrick Gainer posted a formula some time back that may be a good candidate. From that post:

"You could make it simple by using 8 grams each of Metol, sodium sulfite and borax per liter of working solution."

I would appreciate any suggestions. pk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could mix D-23, 1+3 from scratch must before use. It only uses metol as the devving agent and with dilution, the sulfite should be low enough. The formula is in Anchell/Troop's "Film Developing Cookbook": 2.5g of metol, 25g of sulfite in 1 liter of H2O.

Pretty much any dev can be used to get G2, given proper time.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you are planning to use this developer in a processor, or not why do you want a Metol accelerator?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, low agitation tends to enhance edge effects. Is that what you want?

Also, to avoid the solvent effects of sulfite, 10g/l or less is desired.

And, desiging a film developer that gives an image may be easy, but designing one that gives 'the' image is hard.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As to edge effects, no, I am more concerned with consistent results than edge effects. If I wanted edge effects I would try stand development. With the Jobo, even at slow speed, agitation will be constant.

Geoffrey Crawley studied the metol-sulfite-carbonate system in some detail, BJP Jan6 1961. I summarized some of the work in this thread:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/2...elopers-1.html
    I have seen mixed reports on the results of developing tabular grain films in this type of developer (FX-1 , Beutler).With TMX there is very little edge effect,quite a bit grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've obtained good results developing Tmax-100 and Tmax-400 in Crawley's FX-2
    (mixed without
    Pinacryptol Yellow).

Crawley's Basic FX-2 Formula from PAGE 76 OF the 1965 edition of the BJP ANNUAL:

Metol 0.25 grams/liter
    Sodium Sulfite 3.5 grams/liter
    Glycin 0.75 grams/liter
    Potassium Carbonate (crystal) 7.5 grams/liter

Pinacryptol Yellow 3.5ml 1:2000 solution/liter
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Google Paul Bishop, Portraits from the Kitchen. He used a quick mix of acetone, sodium sulfite, and metol which should do it for you.

Ansco John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Here G. Paul Bishop discusses his developer formula. I wonder where he came up with this! Weston? pk

I start out with 28 ounces of water at 68ºF. Add one ounce of acetone at room temperature. It raises the water temperature to 70ºF. Do not use paint thinner; it must be a fine-grade acetone. I use U.S.P. (Pharmaceutical grade), but it doesn't have to be that good. Then I add sodium sulfite---you have to be careful, that's F-I-T-E --- there's a sulfate and a sulfide. I use 30 grains of sodium sulfite. For those who don't want to bother with scales, that's a good rounded quarter-teaspoon --- I still weigh mine out. Add 20 grains of Elon or Metol --- they are both the same thing. I stir well and that's all. The important thing here to remember is agitation. During the first 30 seconds, agitation is continuous. Not a rapid shaking, but about two inversions every 5 seconds. Then it becomes critical to leave the tank alone, let it sit for 1 minute. Then give it 5 more seconds --- about two or three inversions --- each minute thereafter. I haven't put any alkali in this developer, so you don't need an acid shortstop. I use a plain water shortstop at 70ºF. Then fix.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lensmagic View Post
    I don't know how one would test for the presence
    of aerial oxidation, or how it manifests itself.
    The solution will yellow. I've pushed it to black with
    a print developer. Couldn't even see the paper but
    the print turned out OK. No sulfite.

The least chemistry I've used is .3, .9, .9 grams of
    metol, sulfite, and carbonate in 500ml of solution. One
    roll of 120, solution came out light yellow. Tank and
    intermittent; maybe 16 minutes. The formula,
    Ansco 120 or Beer's 1, both print developers.
    Beutler and FX-1 similar. Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin