Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,191   Online: 991

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

HIE EIR MYTH BUSTED

Ok has anyone else with a canon camera been told the infra red light and sensors inside the canon camera ruin Infra red films such HIE and EIR?

Well having just tested HIE and EIR in the Eos 3, Eos 5 , Eos 33, Eos 30, Elan 7ne and Eos 300. I have learnt what really goes on. The Films do get exposure to infra red light in all models however it is only through one edge and half the sprocket holes. It doesn't come close to damaging the image area!!

HOWEVER!!! once a film is at frame 36 do not let the camera rewind the film!!!
    or a second infra red source exposes the film!!! instead manually unload the camera in darkness and I can assure you the film will be fine.

Canon cameras are fine to handle infra red film :-) yet even canon says in certain manuals IR film cant be loaded in their cameras. Myth Busted.

~Steve

AMENDMENT: In all tests the EYE Control IR sensor was switched to OFF!!! It was not tested weather turning this feature on would cause exposure to the film plane however I cant imagine it would.
    Last edited by Stephen Frizza; 02-20-2008 at 08:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Amendment*

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey, great news! I'd love to use my EOS instead in my old Canon FD-era camera. I'll give it a try!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've had no problem with HIE or EIR in an EOS-1V, with the camera rewinding the film as normal. The sprocket holes end up with a stripe down them (there's obviously a small IR LED counting sprocket holes) but nothing on the image area.
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Tim I should have made mention canon does say the EOS 1V is the only EOS camera designed so HIE and EIR can be loaded in them. that is why it wasn't included in my test.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    hi tim I should have made mention canon does say the EOS 1v is designed so HIE and EIR can be loaded in them. that is why it wasn't included in my test.
    Ah, oops, sorry - ignore me folks, nothing to see here...
    Another day goes under; a little bourbon will take the strain...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are some older Canons that don't fog IR film too. Since autofocus is of no use, a $20 EOS 620 might be a good alternative to the gyrations of manually rewinding the film.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had similar results with my Nikon N80. After being told in no uncertain terms that is strictly was impossible to shoot HIE in my camera, I loaded it up anyway. As Steve says, only about 1/2 the sprocket hole appears to be affected by the IR sensor in the camera. I have seen no fogging whatsoever in the film. I have experienced no problem with the IR sensor on rewind.

If truth be known, I have only shot "near-IR", using a dark red filter, not the full IR filters. I doubt it would make much of a difference.

Of course, this discussion is pretty much academic, as the supply of HIE is rapidly dwindling. I've got two rolls in my freezer. There are another half-dozen in my local camera shop. (but at approaching $20 CDN including taxes, I'm not that desperate to hoard them)

Cheers,
    Last edited by Toffle; 02-20-2008 at 09:22 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that information, Stephen! I own an EOS 3 and also fell for the rumor that infrared is out of the question with that camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim View Post
    There are some older Canons that don't fog IR film too. Since autofocus is of no use, a $20 EOS 620 might be a good alternative to the gyrations of manually rewinding the film.
    If you don't mind the sticky gooey shutter from the deteriorating foam bumper ruining 1/3 of your exposures.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So, now that HIE is no longer available, do I run one of my three remaining precious rolls through my elan 7n to see if it ruins it?
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin