Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,710   Posts: 1,548,627   Online: 1172

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Contrastique View Post
    Don't know the english term for such thing...It's something you normally use to clean your work top in the kitchen for example.
    Can be called a number of things. One traditional term is 'chamois" - which is a very soft, very absorbent leather used to remove moisture from wet surfaces. From the picture, I would infer that this one is made of an artificial material rather than real leather.
    Louie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I never squeegee fiber prints. Rapidity of drying only increases the tendency of the print to curl. I dry mine pegged back to back hanging vertically from metal clips on a line. I usually have at least 1/2 inch borders all around. Any concerns about puddled water leaving a residue are eliminated because that would occur in the border. I see no rush to dry fiber prints because I can't do anything with them until they are completely dry so I let them hand overnight anyway.

I use single tray processing partly to avoid handling the emulsion at all. After all the time and energy that I put into a final print, I see no reason to apply any object to the wet emulsion surface right at the end, e.g. a squeegee.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I squeegee both sides but I do not apply pressure to the print in the process. I simply run the squeegee over both surfaces one time, letting only the light weight of the squeegee do the work. Though I have only been doing fiber for a short time, I cannot see how what I'm doing could ever scrape the emulsion.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I was surprised to discover when I didn't squeegee prints they dried flatter. I still do it but I don't know why since I seem to ruin one print in a dozen.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I squeegee the back & front, then the back again...just a habit. I then dry them face up on newspaper on the counter top in my kitchen. They always dry with minimal curl on the edges & placing them in my archival portfolio for about a 1-2 weeks makes them almost completely flat.
    ~Val

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    I squeegee the front of the print with a windshield wiper and dry face up on screens. Sometimes a stray drop of water can cause a raised bump as the print dries so I blot any large drops with a photo wipe.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I squeegee both sides [RC and FB] before I put it in the drum dryer.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I squeegee. Both sides. And dry back to back or on net face down. If too much water is left in the print it curls more.
    /matti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone!! I think I'll have to try the squeegee thing and see if it works for me -- I'll see what I can find in Paris when I go in tomorrow to exchange my brown developer.

I know I started this thread, but I have to say that it had me laughing at the end. How many times have I read the word SQUEEGEE? Such a ridiculous word for adults to use (although I guess rhyming with Weegee is not such a bad thing...)

Cheers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I dry on glass and tape the prints. I only wipe carefully the water off the print with a tiny sponge due to lime.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin