Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,855   Online: 1084

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Types of film hangers

I've just gotten a set of film hangers together to try processing my 4x5 negatives via dip and dunk, but I had a question about the types of hangers. I have 6 Kodak (4a I think), which have more holes, and have open bottom corners. I have another 6 labeled 'Woods' which have somewhat fewer holes (only on the sides not on the sides and back), but the also don't have open bottom corners. Will the woods holders have issues with not allowing free flow of developer around them? Has anyone experienced differnances with the types of hangers?

Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pwitkop View Post
    Has anyone experienced differnances with the types of hangers?
    I've never used a Woods hanger, but I've used Carr and one other one that I can't recall the name of. IMHO, the Kodak 4a's were the best of that style in their day.

Now a friend pointed out some newer hangers that use 4 clips and are designed for dip & dunk machines. Those are the penultimate, but cost an arm and a leg.

Ed
    "I only wanted Uncle Vern standing by his new car (a Hudson) on a clear day. I got him and the car. I also got a bit of Aunt Mary's laundry, and Beau Jack, the dog, peeing on a fence, and a row of potted tuberous begonias on the porch and 78 trees and a million pebbles in the driveway and more. It's a generous medium, photography." -- Lee Friedlander

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've seen some neat ones, but can't remember the manufacturer. They were curved and looked liked they would be very easy to extract the wet film out of.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The KINDERMANN clips are not bad...
    Last edited by Philippe-Georges; 03-10-2008 at 02:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pwitkop View Post
    I've just gotten a set of film hangers together to try processing my 4x5 negatives via dip and dunk, but I had a question about the types of hangers. I have 6 Kodak (4a I think), which have more holes, and have open bottom corners. I have another 6 labeled 'Woods' which have somewhat fewer holes (only on the sides not on the sides and back), but the also don't have open bottom corners. Will the woods holders have issues with not allowing free flow of developer around them? Has anyone experienced differnances with the types of hangers?

Peter
    I have mostly Kodak ones and I like them, the alternate ones you describe should work for developing with no problems but they may trap a bit more water around the edges which could make it slower to dry the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a quick update. Yesterday I did a few tests, and finally got into my back log of processing. The Woods hangers look just like the pictures I've seen on e-bay of Carr ones, for what that's worth. Both produced identical results, at least for me. I did notice the Kodak hangers were easier to load, and easier to unload the wet film though. More importantly the Wood's hangers had a tendency to hang up on the hanger next do it during aggitation. I'm thinking now of putting together some type of rack to be able to pick up and agitate all the hangers at once. I've seen something of the sort for larger tanks, but I'm using the 1/2 gallon yankee tank.

Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin