Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,717   Online: 776

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
    (Their scientific rigor seems to be about on a high school science fair level.)
    Yeah, you hit that nail on the head. I find their antics amusing, and sometimes they rig up pretty cool devices, but as "edutainment" goes it's heavily weighted on the "tainment" side of things. I always find myself cursing that they didn't bother to explain a physical principle even superficially, or that they never bother doing replicate experiments because of statistical variability, etc. But hey - it's all about blowing stuff up in amusing ways, and keeping the unwashed masses from changing the channel
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliej View Post
    If the Mythbusters show was only about 10 or 15 minutes, without all the repetition and cerebral-ness (duh factor) it would be watchable and sometimes entertaining. As is they take all the fun out of it and take forever to get to the last 2 minutes where they finally shoot something or blow it up or whatever. What was the last show, showing how long it takes for grass to grow or paint to dry? BORING!!!
    The few times I watch it, I usually download .avi versions, and the fact that it's geared towards a station with constant commercial interruptions is apparent... the pattern is so annoying: 2 minutes of flashback, 2 minutes of new content, 2 minutes of "what's up next" <spot for commercial segment>, 2 minute flashback, 2 minute new content, 2 minute "up next", <spot for commercial>, etc.

I couldn't imagine having to put up with all that repetition plus a bunch of crappy commercials.

TV becomes so absurd once you've been away from it for a significant amount of time.
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie View Post
    doesn't it have to be something someone has heard of to be a myth --- OJ as developer is not one I have heard.
    Yes, but are you somebody? Just kidding, too easy to pass that one up.

I hadn't heard of the OJ version but until I tried Folgerol and Vit-C for myself a few years ago the did sound quite far-fetched. Not exactly mythic because there are several "reliable" references to them on the web.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by walter23 View Post
    TV becomes so absurd once you've been away from it for a significant amount of time.
    Amen. I wish the production staffers had walked with the writers...
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you spend an hour reading APUG posts, and then spend an hour watching TV, the TV does not seem all that bad.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie View Post
    doesn't it have to be something someone has heard of to be a myth --- OJ as developer is not one I have heard.
    I'm not positive, but I think it appeared in an episode of MacGyver. I've only seen a couple episodes of MacGyver, but the Mythbusters episode in question was their "MacGyver special," which tested various MacGyver "myths."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    If you spend an hour reading APUG posts, and then spend an hour watching TV, the TV does not seem all that bad.

PE
    Touché
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    OJ? I wouldn't trust him with my wife... I certainly wouldn't trust him with my Film!
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10."

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin