Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,970   Online: 905

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kino View Post
    Let's see, they won't give you a receipt for donation, they won't reimburse you for shipment and they restrict access to researchers and scientists; of whom I'll bet exactly none of us will fit that definition.

Frankly, I am tired of these types of back-handed solicitations that come from very well heeled institutions.

Let THEM eat cake...
    An institution wants help to do something that will benefit photography, and we are asked, here, to get cheap about just some old film and materials?

I don't get it.

If I had some old stuff hanging around, I d be pleased to help them. Photography needs a historic record.

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Bruce, you need a haircut.
    Patrick, you'll not find a bald spot

DKT

they didn't say they wouldn't give you a receipt--only that the dollar amount of the donation would probably not be worth much as a tax deduction really, or at least this is the way I read it. i'm sure if you donated say, a truckload of materials --like a truckload of type 55 with an expiration date this year--that you could get a receipt. But a 20 yr old roll of exposed kodacolor II, probably isn't worth much. I might send them some old film we have lying around, if someone wants to actively collect what would otherwise be thrown away, more power to 'em.

btw--from working at a museum that takes donations...the value of the item is determined either by an independent appraisal on the donor's end, or by the donor (and their accountant). The institution doesn't make that call, but there's a limit to the amount you can claim for a deduction, up to a certain amount before needing the appraisal. I've donated one or two items in the past, and didn't write them off, only because they were worth like, less than 5 bucks on the open market, but they were something that was needed and wound up being displayed actually. I did it because I wanted to, not because I wanted anything in return.
    Last edited by DKT; 02-22-2008 at 06:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzanneR View Post
    http://www.getty.edu/conservation/sc...on_wanted.html

This looks interesting. they are building an archive for future conservators about early and current film and photographic paper. Send them a few items!!
    I have some unopened Kodak color neg film in my fridge, if it's something discontinued (about 10 years old), I'll send it to them. I also have a roll of unopened Ektar 25 (35mm) in freezer, more than 10 years old. Is it still produced? I don't shoot color film anymore.

I also have some ancient Dektol in an unopened (small) 'can'. I kept it unopened because I never saw it in a can before.

Paul
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Only by a couple of weeks. I guess I tuned out for awhile, thanks.

The camera builders forum is my new interest, so I'm not paying attention again.
    "Pictures are not incidental frills to a text; they are essences of our distinctive way of knowing." Stephen J. Gould

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These threads got started around the same time... maybe the mods can merge them?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Threads merged. Note that posts are now in chronological order, irrespective of the thread they were originally in.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin