Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,729   Posts: 1,515,223   Online: 925

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Excellent work Lisa...website is efficient too..
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    35mm
    Lee, that is actually exactly how I do it. I mix my distilled with about 5 drops of photo flo in a 4 reel tank. I follow with how you do it with the shaking and hanging word for word. I have looked at my film as soon as I hang for those spots and they are not there, only after drying. If anything, I think I don't use enough photo flo. How much do you use?

Matthew - thanks for the shout out. My site is like 6 years old ( I keep nagging my husband to update) so I now post my new work on my blog.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaU View Post
    Lee, that is actually exactly how I do it. I mix my distilled with about 5 drops of photo flo in a 4 reel tank. I follow with how you do it with the shaking and hanging word for word. I have looked at my film as soon as I hang for those spots and they are not there, only after drying. If anything, I think I don't use enough photo flo. How much do you use?

Matthew - thanks for the shout out. My site is like 6 years old ( I keep nagging my husband to update) so I now post my new work on my blog.
    Lisa:

5 drops sounds like a lot of photo flo to me. I would try using less - probably starting at 1 drop.

Matt

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Edwal makes a low foaming photo-flo substitute that might be worth trying to find. LFN is the name. you might try that.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaU View Post
    Hi John,
    I will definitely try your method this weekend. I think you hit the nail on the head. I live in Hawaii and I'm pretty sure my water is soft but now I'm not sure because I think you are right. Do you know what test I can get to see what kind of contaminates are in that particular tap. So soaking it in a total of four baths of distilled water will clean the contaminates out of the emulsion? That's a lot of distilled water. If I do it like your father ( kind of the way I have been doing it - making sure there are no droplets on the non emulsion side) will my negs hold those contaminates and pose problem later?
    Thank you.
    -lisa
    The way I describe for washing your film (5 inversions wait 5 mins etc etc) has been offered by Ilford for donkeys years as archival. This means that it washes all the contaminants out of the film emulsion.

If you think that you will use your negatives in 5, 10 or 20+ years from now (and I bet you probably will) then you must wash out all the contaminants. Otherwise your film will decay.

Here's a link to the method I know works very well...

http://web.mac.com/johnfinch/Pictori...and_Paper.html

If you do what my father does with his test films then your negatives won't last and you'll keep getting these spots on the emulsion.
    John
    www.pictorialplanet.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I have washed with with the Ilford method before. I actually do it when my water temp from my tap is too warm. If it comes out at the right temp ( which is usually ) I use my film washer. Either way I do it, I use water from my tap and not distilled until the last dunk with photoflo. I'll try and test my tap water first for contaminates and in the meantime, I'll use distilled for all washes. Thanks John.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin