Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,650   Posts: 1,623,572   Online: 776

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Hp5+ and Perceptol

Which works best with HP5+ , Perceptol undiluted or diluted.
    Also some advise on dev times for this combination using a colour head.
    Terry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've had good results with HP5+ rated at 200 in perceptol @1+1 for 13 mins at 20 C

Quite good for contrasty subjects.

Rob

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Lindy....I tried HP5 and perceptol when perceptol was re-released a few years back.
    In the US, it is too expensive to use undiluted so I used it either 1+2 or 1+3 .

I used the times that were provided in the box.

I liked the results but did not like the expense or the film speed loss.

Shooter
    35mm
    I asked a similar question myself. Do a search of HP5+ and Perceptol. I liked the dilution and EI speed used by Leon. I think I may have modified his a bit but I have used 1+3 dilution at 24 degrees C for 18 mins at EI 250. I have also done it at 20 degrees C as this avoids the developer cooling affect which can occur if the darkroom is say only 19-20 degrees and the developer is 24 degrees.

At 1+3 and 20 degrees, times start to get quite long. Roger Hicks speaks of using this combo at EI 320 which is a very small reduction from box speed for Perceptol but I have no idea of his times, temp, agitation etc and this is by far the highest EI I 've seen for the HP5+ and Perceptol combo. Not sure than anybody on APUG who replied to my question recommended an EI as high as 320.

By and large as both are Ilford products you'll probably find the Ilford recommendations are pretty good starting points when faced with a number of different options based on individual APUGers' experience. Info available from the Ilford Harman site.

As you are UK based like me price probably won't be an issue. A litre is available for about £3.85. It certainly tames HP5+ grain like nothing else I have tried.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I switched over to xtol and it worked out great. I do try to use Ilford whenever I can (all my film and paper) but HP5 and xtol is a great match.

As for price here in the USA, a one liter box of Ilford costs $6.39 which allows me to develop 8 rolls of 120 film (at 1+3).
    A five liter bag of xtol costs $9.19 and allows me to develop 30 rolls of 120 film (at 1+2).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    HP5+ is a medium speed and somewhat grainy film. Compared to T-Grain films the grain can be rather hard. Perceptol will lessen this 'harshness' a little.

Perceptol stock will minimize the grain but will make the grain more mushy - as apposed to 'defined'. The more you dilute the perceptol the sharper and more pronounced the grain will be. It will never be as pronounced as say dilute D-76 (which I would call giving HP5+ normal grain). Perceptol is after all a fine grain developer.

So, if you want the finest grain with a slight loss in apparent sharpness, use it without dilution. If you want to increase the sharpness, with the subsequent increase in grain size, dilute it - the more dilution, the more the sharpness will increase but the higher the obvious grain. By the time you get to 1+1 or 1+2 you are getting grain of D-72 but with possibly a sharper negative.

John
    pictorialplanet.com
    John
    www.pictorialplanet.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I know this is slightly off-topic but do try Adox ATM49 with HP5+ because it gives wonderfully small grain, beautiful tonality and full film speed. I simply love this combination (I use the ATM49 undiluted).

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Hp5 adox atm49

I have started using Adox atm49 with 35mm Hp5+, rated at Ei 250, 1+1 at 20 deg c for 12.5 mins, I also love the grain and tonality of this combination.
    Dose anyone have suggestions for times and Ei using this developer with 120 Fp4+.
    Terry

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    EI 250, 1+2, 24°C for 12.5 minutes.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin