Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,209   Online: 1051

Caselton Corners, Staten Island, New York
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Oriental VC-FB Paper?

I had left out at room temperature on a darkroom shelf under some books, the following papers for over 3 years:

1. Oriental VC-FB.

2. Forte Warmtone FB.

3. Ilford VC-FB.

When I started printing it seems that the forte and Ilford papers faired well and the oriental didn"t. Has anyone else arrived at a similar conclusion? Should I only buy Ilford from now on?

Regards.

Bob

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It might have something to do with how long it sat on the shelf where you bought it. I recently inherited quite a lot of old paper including all the types you mention. In my tests the Ilford was the most fogged and Oriental VC FB was the least. But I didn't get sales receipts with the boxes of paper so I don't know what was bought when. I do know that all the papers were several years old. Personally I have been stocking my freezer up with the Oriental WT. I am not a fan of neutral tone papers except for commercial use and for that I prefer the Arista II as much cheaper than Ilford VC FB and seems just as good to me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert T. McCarthy View Post
    I had left out at room temperature on a darkroom shelf under some books, the following papers for over 3 years:

1. Oriental VC-FB.

2. Forte Warmtone FB.

3. Ilford VC-FB.

When I started printing it seems that the forte and Ilford papers faired well and the oriental didn"t. Has anyone else arrived at a similar conclusion? Should I only buy Ilford from now on?

Regards.

Bob
    The short answer is no.
    I'm not sure that you can rely on any paper remaining in good condition if stored that way for so long.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Afternoon. I have to go along with the Ilford paper, i have been doing some prints to day, and have smokey grey finish.
    Did all the checks chem, life, light leaks, all ok, and my fav, Kentmere paper great end product as all ways.
    Going to Oirental to have a go.

Graham

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin