Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,971   Online: 1062

Ted

Has anyone used Konica or Ilford (Infra Red) Film successfully in the studio?
    If so, what sort of ASA, Filter, Film development did you give?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have not - I wonder how much IR there is in a studio flash. I also wonder how much af a filter you would use. none? then the difference would be small, R25? more pronounced but then how much IR is there to see? 89b? There may be no light at all in the studio for this one. It would be an interesting experiment though - i have some Konica loaded up right now, maybe I'll give it a try this week.
    Frank
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best of my knowledge treat the studio flash same as daylight, mid-day. The xenon arc is a continuous spectrum source an creates no tricky calculations for exposure.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yep. Studio flash will have enough IR in it.

You get problems with odd things like flo. lights and things like that.

In fact a neat trick that many people use is to shoot Kodak HIE with a "black" IR filter on the lens and on the flash. And by this I mean one of those IR filters that ONLY lets in IR light. The ones where you better be using a rangefinder and f/16.

This gives you an "invisible flash". Very cool.

I recal that Weegee used this method to shoot INSIDE movie theaters during the movies!

Very cool.

This can be fun too if you want to shoot someone with their pupils wide open.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used Konica 750 in the studio with DynaLites. I've exposed for the same (flash) metered times I would use in daylight, ISO 10 with a R25 filter (metering *without* the filter) and developed in Rodinal 1:25 for (from memory ... I'll check this when I get back to the darkroom..) 8 minutes @ 20 degrees C, in the JOBO processor.

"Wring" the film out for yourself... there are *many* variables that will affect the finall result. I would caution against over exposure in potraiture or figure studies... that will emphasize the blood vessels near the skin surface... a LOT.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin